Sanguinaria canadensis flore pleno

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

A real star of the spring garden

Thumbnail by Galanthophile

A close up

New Providence, NJ(Zone 6a)

They are so pretty. I have one of them. Do they spread very slowly? I am thinking about buying more this year.

Thanks for the wonderful photos.

Fang

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have some (left)...however I used to have many and then one year almost all of them disappeared. It happened all over my woods so not just my soil. Do you have any idea what could have caused this? It is the single I am talking about but I also had alot of the double. Actually with the single it was like their swan song bloom...hundreds of little seedlings one year and then nothing. ALL gone. By the way Fang...you can cut those red tubers in half or quarters and make many more of the double..just plant right back in the gound. That is how I increased mine (until doomsday).

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Galanthophile~beautiful!

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

I bought a sanguinaria at Heronswood nursery last year and forgot about it. then it came up in early spring, what a nice surprise!!! I'm glade I tagged it. can't wait to see it spread. hostajim1

levilyla, I can actually cut the tube, and it won't die?

Fang

This is how it gets its common name of bloodroot. Yes you can cut up the tuber - it might bleed a little but if you let it heal for a couple of days then plant it it will be fine. I have had this plant since about 1995. I got it when there was just one flower. It spreads quite quickly - the double form is obviously rarer and more desirable to some but it still spreads as you can see. That's a shame about that whole colony dying out. It sounds as though it may have been too dry or too wet? Mine opened up in the sunshine today - just glorious!

The colony today

novi, MI(Zone 6a)

When my husband and i were tilling up some brush areas for new beds, I was walking behind him and discovered bits of Bloodroot and 2 tiny flowers in the mess. I was so devastated I cried. I loved these flowers as a little girl and hadnt seen them in years. Let alone on my property. DH had no idea what they were and I hadnt seen them in the brush. He must have thought I was crazy crying over them,
I tried to save them but none came back. Mind you there werent many only 3 or 4 tiny plants. I probably would have never seen them if it wasnt for staring at the dirt because of all of the ashes and wood coal the tiller uncovered. We were discussing how the old owners must have had a fire pit there or something.
Does anyone know if they like woodash?

Anyway I feel so badly that I've been trying to find a good supplier of Single form Bloodroot so I can repopulate the area.

Does anyone know of a good supplier?

Ness;-0

PS arent these a protected species?

Try this site: http://www.shadeflowers.com/. I never order from them yet. I am planning this year. Those are not double. Double ones are more expensive.

Fang

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Try tennessee wholesale
p.o. box 529
mcminnville, tn.
37111-0529
931-473-7811
fax.....931-473-3471

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.