Guess What?

(Zone 6a)

In the past few years I've been my working on my shade gardens getting them to look the best they've looked yet. Then, guess what? I heard that our neighbor will be cutting down 2 large Maple trees which give my garden it's shade. So now they will be in full sun. ARGH, it's a bit frustrating...just how you can work on a garden with certain conditions for a long time and then BOOM! it can change. But on the good side, I will have more full sun which is pretty scarce now.

Steve

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Ohhhhhh...if that's not enough to give you a stomach ache, I don't know what is! I guess just take a lot of pictures now!!

(Zone 4a)

Be strong.

I have had my own trees keel over and thus lost the
shade for my favorite plants.

I caged the sensitive plants and wrapped materials around
the cages. It didn't look good, but at least I saved the plants.

Meanwhile, get some fast-growing trees that you can control,
or, perhaps some large rocks to shade the plants. You may
have to move the plants.

Let us know, eh?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Depending on what shade plants you have they may just be okay. Some shade plants can take more sun as well as some sun plants can take more shade.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Not only does it give you opportunity to buy trees and put them on your property and have control.But if you wanted to take up wood working you could build yourself a shade structure to protect some of your more prized plants before your new trees grow up.....With room for a sitting area too to enjoy the new views you have created......I'm dreaming...wow is this fun.

I also agree with levilyla!

(Zone 6a)

I think alot of my plants will adapt pretty good to the change....The one I might have to fuss over is a hardy cyclamen. It seems to like it where it is and I think it might resent being moved. And how about Polyanthus Primrose? I just got my first one to actualy come back and flower there...

But on the good side, we already talked about getting a Japanese Maple(which we've always wanted)....and I can think of all the full sun plants that I'll be able to grow now.......maybe a butterfly bush.
I'm still trying to think about which areas will become sun and which will still be shade.....our back garden which is now deep shade and periwinkle.....it might become more hospitable....I wonder if we could fit in a crab apple or a flowering tree.....

Thanks for all the replys, I didn't expect so many!!!
Steve

New Providence, NJ(Zone 6a)

Steve,

I might have the same issue with you. I setup a shady garden on the east side between my neighbor's house and my house. It gets morning sun. My neighbor is thinking to cut down his tree. Don't know when yet. But good thing is that even he cut his tree, the area won't get the afternoon sun since my house will block it.

Take pictures now.

Fang

(Zone 6a)

Ok, I'll take pictures this afternoon. I don't know either when my neighbors' cutting his trees down so it prevents me from making any plans. We think it will be this year though, cause he's already ripped out mostly everything else.

Steve

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I just moved a number of shade plants after my neighbor had her trees removed. I am not sure they can stay where they were moved but you gotta do it.

My acanthus mollis became flat on the ground in the afternoon sun and I have three lady-in-red hydrangeas that are wilting in the (now) direct afternoon sun. The Sum & Substance hostas have leaf burn on some edges but they are still small enough to move.

She cut down trees that were on the other side of my house and they were PINES! and I would not have thought they cast that much shade. But they did. My alestromeria is also wilting - don't know how or where I can move it as I have several really big clumps.

The sun seems too strong and bright for this time of year - anyone else notice this??

(Zone 6a)

I'm sorry to hear about all your poor plants and loss of all those trees :( I have a hosta I'll have to move, hopefully I'll be able to do it cause it's right at the base of a small mountan ash I've been keeping as a standard. And I also got a Macrophylia Hydrangea earlier this year and now not sure where to put it....
I thought alestromeria was a sun plant?

Steve

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Alestromeria IS a sun plant but the sun here in Atlanta (and I expect points more south also) is sometimes too hot for some plants. When the tag says "full sun" that does not necessarily mean HERE!

You really don't always know when you buy a plant. Sometimes I will put out a "full sun" plant and have to move it where it gets a bit of protection in the late afternoon. And some of them just flourish in the full, hot sun.

(Zone 6a)

And I thought the sun was hot here in the summer.....

Steve

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.