lost bookmarks when I installed a newer version of Firefox

Santa Barbara County, CA(Zone 9a)

Firefox started acting whacky this afternoon. All of a sudden, it started acting as if it didn't recognize my profile, and it kept trying to get me to create a new one. I rebooted the computer to see if that would fix the problem, but it didn't. Out of frustration (and because I was planning to update my Firefox version at some point anyway), I decided to install the new version of Firefox. What a mistake! I've just discovered that I've lost all my bookmarks. I went to a couple of techie-oriented Firefox sites and found a number of people complaining of the same problem. Unfortunately, their suggested fix doesn't work for me (they say to access a backup version of your bookmarks, but even though I do see several such files, Windows puts up a dialog box saying it is unable to open them). Does anyone out there know of a way I can restore my bookmarks? I'm not a computer expert, and will need specific, easy-to-follow instructions. Thank you for any help you can give me.

This thread has 9 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!