Exporting cacti from U.S.

Tucson, AZ

Anybody have any experience sending cacti overseas? Commonly found cultivated ones of course.
I have a friend in Pakistan who wants to trade. I've allready warned him that customs may confiscate what he sends to me but he wants to try anyway. Are packages checked through customs as they leave this country? Or is it only at the other end they go through customs. If I send my friend a cacti cutting are they going to come after me? Permits and phytosanitary certificates are out of the question. It would be a waste to go to that much trouble just to send a friend a plant I can buy at Home Depot for $2.57.

Franj

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I have sent plants overseas. I usually stuff them into something, like a t-shirt and declare that. USA doesn't usually check out going, but, dealing with a country that is on the terror watch list your pkg has a higher chance of being opened when it comes into the country. Even this country, with the small amount of mail sent between Pakistan and US can't check it all (compare to Canada, they send millions of mail south, none gets checked). Just expect to have it siezed and if isn't...the plant police will probably not send anyone to hassle you, but, you might get a letter of warning.

Proceed with caution.....

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tucson, AZ

Thar's a good point, thanks.

Franj

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

These are bromeliads? Looking great...........
Kaleem

Cincinnati, OH

My understanding is that no cacti can be exported, even the hybrids that never occur in nature.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.