kennel into greenhouse

Lilburn, GA

Hi!

I have two dog kennels that I inherited with my new home. They are made out of chicken wire and are very firmly attached to the ground. i am thinking of maybe, transforming it into a greenhouse. they are very big structures so I would have lots of room. The problem is: how do I do that? where do I get the covering? Are they readly available? what type of covering should i use? I would like one that is kept warm in the winter.Thank you for any help.

Anna

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Charley's Greenhouse sells all sorts of plastic coverings for greenhouses--not sure how their prices compare to other places but you could at least look there to see the variety of things you can use and see what would work for you, then shop around. I bought a bunch of plastic film from them last fall and stapled it to my wood patio frame to make a pseudo-greenhouse for my tropicals over the winter, but if you want something more permanent you might want to go with hard plastic panels instead of the film.

Lilburn, GA

Thank you ecrane 3. I will check Charley's. Good idea!!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

How quick do you need it done, how long do you need it to last and how much can you spend? At walmart, you can buy heavy painters plastic for indoor/outdoor use. It's $15 for a piece 20x25. You can get a couple of years use out if it. I use it to cover my hoop houses and it works very well.

Lilburn, GA

Hi Badseed, I need something to keep my greenhouse warm during the winter as I am planning on growing tropicals. Is it good for the winter? thank you!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I am sorry to say I threw my bags away. Are you close enough to a Walmart that you could look? They are in the paint department. It is a really heavy plastic. I have a 26x9 cattle panel hoophouse and can keep it easily 30 degrees warmer with a small kerosene heater.

Lilburn, GA

Thank you Badseed. Will go to Walmart and do some research. :o)

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Atlas Greenhouse in GA.
http://www.atlasgreenhouse.com

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

This message was edited May 28, 2010 5:38 PM

Willamette Valley-OS, OR(Zone 8a)

Anna-

Is it Possible to Post a Pic of the Kennels?
Would Help Alot to Assist with Ideas.

Lilburn, GA

ZZ, I gave up the idea of using the kennels as a greenhouse. I need somehting that will keep the heat in during th ewinter so i will invest in a "real" greenhouse. Thank you everyone for their help.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Spider, you would probably be fine with a hoop house and a good screen door or sliding door (which you can often get cheap or free) and a decent kerosene heater.

Lilburn, GA

Thank you Badseed. I am going to HD to check prices. :o)

barrington, IL(Zone 5a)

spider, did you try using bubble wrap as an insulator? also, attach a sheet of the "plastic on the outside and on the inside so you have a sort of dead-air space. another idea would be to use wood up the sides, fron, and back for about 2 feet in height. i still think that your idea for turning the kennels into a greenhouse is a very good one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.