Alstroemeria in a Container

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Does anyone do this? I know that the soil must be free flowing and not heavy. I'm considering using one of two peat based mixes. One is the Pro Max Growers Mix and the other is the one offered by Miracle Grow. I believe the MG mix has fertilizer in it. Any opinions or suggestions? Do you think sand needs to be added to either mix?

Also, I'm considering using an 18" pot . I'm not aware that there are any requirements on depth, however in a garden setting, I've heard the tubers can go down as far as 18 inches.

Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

Beaker, I grow my Alstroemerias in pots (I live in an apartment). We don't have the mixes you mention - we make our own mixes.

I would not use peat in the mixture. Alstroemerias need very good drainage. I make a mix of 1/3 regular garden soil, 1/3 well decomposed leaves and 1/3 sharp river sand. I also place some smaller stones on the bottom of the pot and cover them with sand. The deeper the pot, the better. An 18" pot is OK. Every 3 years take them out of the pot and divide the rhizomes. The only fertilizer I add is some well decomposed leaf mold every year. Once I 'forgot' to separate the rhizomes after 3 years and new sprouts started coming out of the drainage holes LOL.

Hope this info helps.

Ursula

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.