Installing an trellis - choosing clematis

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi,

I'm installing an trellis. It will be about 8' tall in 3 sections. Two outer sections will be about 8' wide and the inner section will be about 5' wide. The sections are joined but they are seperately framed and I may want to use that as a plant seperator as well. Trellis gets about 6 - 8 hours of sun per day until 4:00 or so.

I'm thinking that on the outer sections I would plant 2 types of clematis in each section, one a candy stripe and one solid with similar color. Example - Nelly Moser/Barbara (pink) or Mrs. N Thompson/Fryderyk Chopin (purple).

In the smaller inner section I was thinking a climbing rose paired with a more subdued clematis.

I just pulled these out of a hat - I'd have to match pruning group, flowering periods, size etc.

Think this could work or am I overthinking it?
Will 2 properly selected clematis cover an 8' tall x 8' wide trellis or should I plant 3 per section? Plant spacing would be about 3' with 3 plants.

Also, I will probably buy from a speciality clematis grower that is within driving distance from me. They seem to imply that fall is the best time to plant but they might be referring to their mail order clematis which they prune heavily before shipment. I assume for a potted plant spring/summer is just fine?

Thanks

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

It sounds like a wonderful plan to me! Chalk Hill Clematis Nursery has excellent plants and they won't steer you wrong. Ask for Murray Rosen, Manager, when you visit the Nursery. He was a big help to me when I selected several vines there last Summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.