Looking for a red Clematis

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I'm wanting to get a red Clematis from Debbie at Silver Star. Does anyone know which one would be a true red and maybe have a pic? I've looked at all the pics on her website, but can't tell which one may be a true red.

Debbie

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Debbie, when you say "true" red, do you mean fire engine red? I don't think there are any on the orange-scarlet side of red, but 'Niobe' is a nice, dark red; between brick and burgundy to me. Usually I see more pinkish reds and purplish reds.
Neal

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Debbie here a pic of the Rosemoor Clematis that is a deep red and and is a repeat bloomer. I know nothing about the garden site I'm sending you to for the picture so was your own judgement about ordering.

Gary

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

The best website for looking at all the various varieties is Clematis on the Web. http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/index.html Just put in your search criteria, such as "red", and this website will give you more red Clematis than you ever knew existed! You probably want to refine your search even further by selecting when you want it to bloom, location, single, semi-double, etc.

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Well I guess it would have helped if I had sent the attachment. However Shirley is right.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Neal, I have Niobe, not the red I'm lookin for. I don't think they come red.:-(

Gary and Shirley, I checked out that link, picked out 14 to look for and guess what~~~~~Debbie doesn't have any of em!! I'm runnin outta ordering time here.

baja:

Which 14 Clematises did you pick out? Maybe we help you find them.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Debbie..did you look at the reds I showed you on the other post?..They were all pruning group 3s...Did you like any of them?...and I think they are available...Jeanne

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Here's a few, agian haven't order from them so don't know anything about thier vines.
http://donahuesclematis.com/red.html

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Jeanne, I have ruutel, but may check into that Cardinal W

gld, I have a couple of those too, Rouge Cardinal may be another one I get. I'll probably get 2 or 3.

Shirley, here's the 14, but I really wanted to order from Debbie

Aleksandrit
Allanah--on the list gld gave me
Avante-Garde--avail from Debbie in the fall
Beni-no-yoso'oi'
*Huvi
Maureen
*Monte Cassino
Red Star(Watanabe)
Rosemoor"Evipo002'(N)
*Rouge Cardinal--avail
*Solidarnosc
*Syrena
*Westerplatte--on the list gld gave me
Yashahime

Another question, LOL, Why are the flowers on my Niobe, Sunset, Ruutel and Henryi way smaller than they're supposed to be?? They are only like 2.5" across.

baja:

Several of the ones you listed are not yet available in the U.S. (SOB!) However, Allanah, Rouge Cardinal, Monte Cassino & Westerplatte should be available through Debbie, just send her an e-mail. It just means that she doesn't have enough of them to post their picture on her website. She may only have a couple or can get her hands on them for you. She's still growing out Avante Garde and waiting for the roots to get developed enough. That's why she isn't shipping them out until the Fall.

Do check out Brushwood Nursery, Chalk Hill Clematis Nursery, Donahue's Clematis Nursery, Garden Crossings, Joy Creek Nursery and Completely Clematis. You'll be able to find all of them in the Gardenwatch Dog.

Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.