Is it worth saving these?

Yorkshire,

Yesterday, when I was checking the SDB irises that have finished flowering in the greenhouse, I noticed some fat seedpods developing on a few of them.
The bumblebees have been buzzing around the flowers quite a bit so the chances of any seeds being crosses are extremely high. Do you all think it's worth harvesting the seeds? Do any of you keep seeds from 'chance' crosses? I'd love to hear about irises from any of your crosses and see pictures of the seedlings if you have pictures.
Thanks for any advice.

Terri

Augusta, AR(Zone 8a)

I don't know about everyone else, but I think I would because you could come up with the next 'got to have it'.

Yorkshire,

Thanks 'Eden', I can't resist collecting seeds from any plant (not just irises), and my fingers are itching to take these lovely pods, but I know I have to wait for a few more weeks before harvesting them :(
Patience isn't one of my best attributes, LOL

Terri

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

SAVE them. Put them in pots and burry the pots in the ground in the late fall
You might end up with something special
this is from a bee pod
Anita

Thumbnail by avmoran
Yorkshire,

Oooh Anita, that certainly has inspired me, it's lovely!! Thanks for the tip.

Terri

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Just to be fair you could also get this
which is also a bee pod baby
:)
Just want to be fair

Thumbnail by avmoran
Yorkshire,

Thanks Anita, that is sweet of you.
Actually I rather like that one too. I'm quite fond of blue irises.

Terri

Newfoundland, NJ

I like the purple one too. It has a nice shape. Is it a sibling of the one above? What is its known parent?
The most fun of those 'bee pods' I think is like getting a grab bag prize. Don't know what it is, but it's exciting finding out. So what if its not your 'cup of tea'? You just witnessed the emergence of a brand new never-before-seen iris...
Laetitia

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

The First one Is a Sunstrip Baby SDB
the Second one is a Violet Returns baby TB

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Anita, those are pretty. I love the names.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.