Asparagus info needed...

Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

Is it too late to start asparagus now? I have never tried it before, but we love it and I would like to grow some in the garden. Thanks,
Bev

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I just planted a few days ago. You know that asparagus is a perennial vegetable, so the bed should be a permanent one, and that you won't be able to really harvest it for a couple of years? One of those delayed gratification veggies. :)

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Nourse farms has some good Asparagus information. I don't think it's too late to plant. I just recieved my order from them Friday.

http://www.noursefarms.com/planting_guide/asparagus_guide.html

Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

No, I had no idea about the delayed gratification! But thank you all for the much needed info! Do any of you use them in a flower bed? My garden (veggie garden that is) I till up every year because of some very nasty bamboo I have lining the back of my property...but it always finds a way to my garden! Not sure where to put them in my yard! Thank you for the link!

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Bev, you're welcome. I was going to have my asparagus bed in my flower garden, but then, I changed my mind and just gave it a large permanent bed in the veg garden where it will have a fence around it to protect it from deer, etc. I have 13 raised beds that I just built with my husband and two of those have permanent plantings in them. The others will rotate with other crops. You could try a raised bed...I don't know anything about bamboo other than it's invasive. I don't know how you feel about this, but could you dab some round up on the bamboo as it pops up in the asparagus? Otherwise, I don't see why you couldn't put it in the flower garden. Why not? Good luck. Happy asparagus planting.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

The asparagus ferns will cast a good deal of shade midsummer, as they get quite tall. You need to be very careful to weed thoroughly and gently. And the ferns usually get cut down at end of growing season. For all these reasons I think it's best to keep asparagus in their own little bed. And I'd keep them as far away as possible from any bamboo (unfortunately, roundup is no match for bamboo).

Here's a picture of an asparagus bed...
http://www.gardenguides.com/news/

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bev, Planting in a straight line is easiest to deal with. I have mine in a 10' x 10' area, so I have to lean in. After 3 years, when you can harvest it all, take everything. Even the wisps, till harvest season is over. You can snap it to separate the tender from the stringy and peel the largest stringy pieces. They cook up tender and add to your batch.
Water and fertilize for the best results! Good eating!

Lucama, NC(Zone 7b)

I am amazed, I am so glad I posted. I had no idea the ferns were that large! I am glad I didn't plant them with my flowers!!! Thank you all so much for the much needed information!
Bev

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Your welcome!

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

wow, I had no idea they got so big. How tall are those in the picture? I just planted mine a few weeks ago and was a little concerned that they haven't sprouted or anything yet. It sounds like I'm being impatient. :) Maybe I better take advantage and move them to a better area, they'll shade my rasberry plants where they are at the moment.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

These are my two weedy asparagus patches. I used the foundation blocks from my house. They held up our old porch when I was a kid.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.