First Townsendia blooms

Central, UT(Zone 5b)

Here is the first of the townsendia to bloom in the garden. I grew this from seed that said it was for T. jonesii var. lutea. I thought that blooms on this plant were supposed to be more yellow than peachy/pink/apricot colored. Anyone know a bit more about this plant?

Thumbnail by Ally_UT
North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I've only ever seen this plant on show at Alpine Garden Society shows but I really like them and would love to obtain a couple for my alpine sinks. They are not easily obtained over here. I'd appreciate any info anyone has too.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

What a tiny treasure! The buds are so perfect.

Central, UT(Zone 5b)

It is quite small. I was suprised just how small it is in comparison to the size of the blossoms. I'm hoping that it will retain it's compact growth habit.

As to the identity of thisTownsendia I'm doubting that it is var. lutea, given the small amount of info I've been able to find. I still need to find a key and check it out but I'm leaning toward Townsendia jonesii var. jonesii on this one. The var. lutea form should have yellow rays or at least more yellow and these are definitely pinkish. I'll have to ask some of the more knowledgable folks in our local chapter of NARGS this weekend.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.