What's Wrong With My Canna?

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

It's a Robert Kemp. None of my other Cannas have this problem. Even the young foliage is starting to brown.

Any ideas?

Thumbnail by skaz421
Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

It looks possible snail damage.
Cut off the bad leaves.
Water the plant at dusk and watch for any culprits to come up to feed. Knock off and dispose.

Thanks. I haven't seen any snails, but that doesn't mean they're not there.

Do they hide in the soil? I could just re-pot it, and be rid of them.

Steve

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Not confirming snails, but if it IS snails, you can sprinkle diatomacious (sp?) earth around the soil line. Snails and slugs die when they crawl through it, and it's not toxic to anything.

Thanks, Mary. I've been a little busy, and haven't had time to spend looking for the snails. I would think if it were snails, then some of my other Cannas would be affected - I have about 20, in pots, on the ground, right where this one was. None of them have this problem.

Steve

I tend to agree with you Steve...snails usually chew a hole in a leaf...I'm thinking this is not snails....although I did have a similar incident on an inherited canna, that had a very small 3/4 inch catepillar feeding on the bottom of the leaf. He didn't chew large holes like grasshoppers or large cats...only stripped the green away from the vein structure. Maybe the same thing for you?

Mary,

I re-potted it today, since I don't know where it's gong in the garden yet. I didn't see any critters, but it has to be something eating away at the leaves.

I'm going to check it often.

Steve

OMG, I just thought of something. This plant is one of about 50 that's just sitting in the back yard. The dog spends a lot of time out there - what if he chose this one as a 'target'? They do that - they need something to pee on - they can't just go on the grass.

I've got to move those plants. I'm going to do it right away.

Ewwww, well in that case, I can't help you,lol.....

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Yep,
Looks like dog pee to me...Note the target pattern. Yep -- doggie do.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.