Irises for the deep south, Texas heat and humidity??????

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi, I am just getting going with irises, so any help on which kind I should start with other than flag irises(got those), I would love to know from someone who grows them in our heat and humidity. Advice and help please!!! I want some irises this year around my roses if possible. I am a rose addict, but irises look so wonderful to me, another addiction, along with daylilies!!!
Oh well.............thanks in advance!
Rose_petalzz(Ruby)

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

you can raise TB iris In your area ,
in fact check the garden clubs in Houston
i think there is a large Iris society there .

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Tazzy!

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Ruby,
I am a few hours north of you and I grow Tall Bearded irises. I would be extra careful about growing irises around your roses. Roses like acidic soil and iris like alkaline soil. I made the mistake of planting some irises in a spot where I use to have roses. Most of them survived but several rotted with the rains last year. Now I know to add some lime when I plant the irises. Other than this just plant the iris and let em grow!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Texas Doodlebug, love the name! Thanks for that info, did not know that, whew, could of made a bad decision there! Thankyou very very much, see I don't know anything about irises!!!!! Just love the pictures!!!!

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

rose-
I have grown irises for several years now and I still feel like I don't know anything about them but I am learning a lot. I do have some irises near roses but I just keep in mind that I will need to make sure the irises are planted with some lime. I have a couple of polyanthas that my irises get closer and closer to every year! I refuse to get rid of either of them. Ha!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I know what ya mean, I am addicted to roses!!! I love nature and have planted for hummers, butterflies, birds, bees, anything that needs some nectar or food. I especially love roses though, all the old garden roses, need about 10 acres to satisfy my rose addiction, but I do have alot already, and love to grow cuttings when I can get them to root. Irises look so elegant to me, so I want to try them, especially the TB irises. I have dabbled into daylilies a bit too. Love salvias, I just plain ole love plants!!!! Thanks for the help. If you know of a TB that is especially beautiful let me know the name, so I canlook for it. Thanks,
Ruby

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

I have the same heat and humidity you have, and I have not found any TB iris that doesn't grow here. Just be careful not to have mulch right on top of your rhizome so as not to end up with rot.

If you ask 100 different iris growers which one would be the best to grow, I would bet you would get 100 different answers. Just go with the colors you love, and you can't go wrong.

I want to be sure that you understand they don't always bloom the first year, but they are so worth waiting for.

Good luck with them. They are one of my absolute favorite plants.

You can work out trades or deals here with DG people and be safe as a newbie. You have to watch out for some of the auction site people.

Diane

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.