Lemon Lace Vine

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

I just bought this vine, 'Lemon Lace' (Polygonum aubertii) love the color of the leaves. I was wondering if anyone grows this and do you know how vigorous this vine is? I want to put it in the same area as my sweet autumn clematis but I was wondering if one of these plants would over power the other. I purchased this plant for $10 at a wonderful place called Fridays Perennials.

Thumbnail by cbrandenburg
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Cathy:

I searched the Web, here is what I found out about this vine. "The Lemon Lace Vine, 'Polygonum', is one of the fastest growing vines. It can climb up to 25' and has small, creamy white flowers that cluster the golden foliage. The flowers can bloom twice, in late spring and early fall and are very fragrant." http://www.backyardgardener.com/nursery/product.php?prod_id=453527626

Personally, I think the Lemon Lace Vine and Sweet Autumn Clematis would out grow an area very quickly. However, it all depends on the size of the area that you want to cover. If you have a huge area to cover, these vines would fill in quickly. In a typical back yard, they could definitely over power one another and may be invasive in your area. Sweet Autumn Clematis is in mine.

Freedom, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Shirley, I think I need to find another place to plant this vine, I don't want it to take over my clematis.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.