Gelatinous substance on surface of soil in pots

Today, after a heavy rain yesterday, I noticed small gelatinous chunks on the surfaces of 5 of my flower pots. Some pots contain roses and others strawberries. Any clues to what this is?

I thought it might be slug eggs, but they were unevenly shaped, and looked like chunks of clear jello.

I would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas as to what this is?

San Diego, CA

It sounds like water absorbing crystals the growers are now using to keep the plants moist longer. Go the the Garden Products forum and you can read about them. Or you can read a few responses about them in this forum under Water Crystals. By the way, they're great!

This message was edited Apr 23, 2006 2:30 PM

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

It definitely sounds like the polymer crystals to me. I once inadvertantly spilled some on my patio while adding it to pots I was filling and was amazed after the first rain at those same square chunks of "clear jello" seemingly everywhere!

Rich

Thanks for your comments. There is a wetting agent in the soil I used. And only the pots with this soil appear to have the gelatin. So, you must be right. I seem to learn something new every day. Thanks again.

Mary

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.