What is a Compost Pile Supposed to Smell Like?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Guys. I am new to all of this, so please be gentle. Here is the situation:

We have accumulated a lot of leaves from our 15 or so, Live Oaks. This, combined mostly with grass and some soil comprises most of our compost pile, which is quite large. There has been the usual pruning and dead-headed flowers, mostly petunias, and quite a few half eaten (by the deer) tulip bulbs, as well as the usual vegetation type kitchen scraps.

We have not added any accelerators or other chemicals, but the dark, ripened compost actually smells sweet, as if it were perfumed! I have never heard of this. Is it something in one of those ingredients that is doing it, or is compost supposed to smell like this? I have always heard that compost smells bad.

Sheral

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Compost does smell a bit sweet. It certainly should not smell bad or putrid in any way. Sounds like you've got a pile of black gold there...

Westerville, OH(Zone 6a)

Go out into a mature woods/woody area and dig down about a foot. Grab a handful of the dirt at the bottom of your hole. Smell it - that is what compost should smell like.

Peoria, IL

yes, compost should smell have a clean earthy smell.

compost should not smell bad ... it can smell bad if the C:N ratio is out of whack or if it goes aerobic, but that is not what one strives for in a healthy compost.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.