Earth Day

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey all:

I was reading information about the Master Gardening programs in Maryland. I was browsing through the MG newsletter and found out it was Earth Day at Quiet Waters Park (this was yesterday--Saturday). They were giving away free compost bins so I decided to take a trip to the park and I got one. But I also bought some plants (this type of orgeno that is green, white and pink; canna; and chinese chives) and they had free stuff for the kids. It was pretty neat! I learned a lot about what you can and can not compost. They gave me a list. I'm going back for Composting Day next Saturday. I'll get another free bin for attending and they actually have compost exhibits and show you how to make compost. I figure by attending, I'll take a lot of the guesswork out of composting. This way I can use my leaves for my garden instead of giving them to the yard waste guys who probably turn around and sell it anyway.....

I'll let you all know what I learn, just in case there's something that someone may not know. I really love this whole gardening thing! If anyone wants me to type the list of what you can and can't compost....let me know.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Hey I know that lovely Quiet Waters Park in Annapolis, even though I'm a west-coast dweller these days. Sounds like a great thing to give away as an Earth Day goodie.
I'm still new here at DG, but as a long-time composter I'd be surprised if there's not already a goodly listing of all the good basics of composting how-to, what-to, etc., and if there's not, that's certainly a hugely useful set of information for folks to have -- there are always always folks new to these ideas. Let's prowl through the archives and build on what's here, and make sure that starter info is here.

Dayton, TX(Zone 9a)

What do the bins look like? This sounds like a good project for us next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.