Cincinnati Flower Show

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Is anyone going to the show? My mom and I will be there tomorrow. Are there any local nurseries (either Cincy or Dayton area) that are 'not to be missed'? We'll have time to go to one or two before heading back home.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow! I can't believe I haven't gotten at least one response to this! :-o

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

I've been to the Cincy show several times when my parents lived in Georgetown, Ky. great show! It's where I got my first pulmonaria, sweet woodruff and tiarella. I wish I was closer, and I'd be there for sure.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

What a great show! Mom and I spent about six hours there, and then we stopped at Natorp's in Mason and Andy's Garden in Troy on the way home. Both of those nurseries were AWESOME. Got to Andy's just as they were closing, but they let us look for a few minutes. I found a couple mini hostas there. Got one at Natorp's, too. We're going to make a trip back down to Andy's one of these days soon, so we can take our time and see everything they have (and it's a LOT!). We just don't have nurseries like these where I live. :-(

Okay.........pictures from the show......

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Callas.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Caladiums and coleus

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Caladiums.........I've always loved these...

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Loved all the dicentra!

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Check out the 'rug'.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Flower topiary

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Ikebana...

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

The entire floral arrangement was no taller than four inches. Yes, those are postage stamps it's sitting on.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Planter...

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

This was a motion sculpture. It was pretty heavy, so the birds wouldn't really move unless you moved them. I really like this.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Winner of the 'Best of Show' for garden displays - "The Secret Garden"

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

The other side...

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

This is why I love shows like this. I would never have thought to plant a pot on its side...

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

One of the beautiful window boxes.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Mom and I bought some plants, of course, and we had them hold them until we were ready to leave. The one place, when I went back to pick up my plants, had a missing rex begonia. :-( When I told them about it, they were so apologetic. They didn't have another of the one I had bought, so she gave my money back for that one ($7) and let me pick another one out anyway. I thought that was very fair. I also got some fancy geraniums, besides the begonias, and some fiber optic grass.

I got a plant stand, two obelisk trellises, and a turtle topiary form.

After we left the show, we went to Natorp's Nursery in Mason, OH, and what a great place! So many wonderful things to choose from. I got a couple mini hostas there ('Shining Tot' and 'Little Aurora') and really nice Lady's Mantle to replace mine that didn't make it over the winter. Then we went to Andy's Garden in Troy, OH, and got there just as they were closing. They let us come in for a few minutes, which was torture, because they are HUGE and we couldn't look at everything. I got a couple more hostas ('Pandora's Box' and 'Baby Bunting'). Mom found $3 in the parking lot there. :-)

The weather was just PERFECT and today we talked about how we were glad we went yesterday, because it pretty much rained all day today and was COLD! Right now, it's 30° here, which would tie the record low for this date.

We're going to go back down to Andy's Garden one of these days, so we can look at all the wonderful things they have.

My begonias (and one of the geraniums)...

Thumbnail by kbaumle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.