Will my cannas bloom this year?

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi
I planted some canna seeds and they are just now coming up. They are about 1-2 inches tall. Will they grow enough to bloom this year? Thanks Pauletta

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Dont know the answere, but I too wanna know. I have Eureka, India Prince, Indian Shot, City of Portland, Pink Angel, Yellow dwarf Canna Primrose and one unknown yellow/orange potted up indoors. They are about 6 inches now.
We have the same zone so hopefully someone has a happy answere for both of us.
Janett

Hi Janett
I don't have as many kinds as you do. I have some that my sister in law gave me , they are solid green leaves and red blooms, ( don't know the name) . Someone gave me a few dwarf cannas in a trade, don't know the color. I am sure someone will help us out here. Everyone is so smart here. Pauletta

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, they should bloom for you this year. :-)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

azreno should know, she's the canna queen :)
Brittany

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

OH...........Happy news :0)) Thanks
Paulett. lets be happy for the flower news and hope for seeds.

couple of questions:
Should we use fertiliser/manure when we plant them in the ground.. Little or plenty if so?
Do Cannas selfpollinate. Dont have hummers here or any nectar eating bird or do we have to handpollinate a.s.o
Have tons to learn about Cannas.
Janett

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh, I'm far from the canna queen over here Brittany :-) (but thanks for the compliment!), there are some VERY experienced canna growers and hybridizers over here in canna territory. Loads of wonderful people to learn from. Great place to ask questions!

Janett,
Well ammended soil is good for seeds, just like with any seeds you don't want to burn that little root when it pops out.

Some canna are self pollinators (you'll have to wait for more experienced help on which ones). You can hand pollinate I believe (hopefully someone will pop up with a good site to help with the parts of the canna flower). I believe bees a good pollinators for canna.

HTH!

Thanks for the help. I have plenty of bees and hummingbirds. Just saw a hummer a little while ago. He was checking out my colorful windchime. Going to put out some nector. Then I am going to put cannas in containers in front of porch by my hostas. Hummers loved my hosta flowers last year. Pauletta

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I have hostas still to be planted, but I am sooooooooo hesitant, since I understand that they attrack slugs and snails. How much of a problem are these lovely little plants? I dooooooooooo love the brilliant lime green variety. Can someone tell me the cultivar? Thanks.

P.S. I got a box of tubers?bulbs? HOSTAS from Sam's Club for $14.98. Where is the best place for them I have wandering jew growing on the patio as a groundcover. I'm working on clearing it out and putting it into containers. I also have coleus, geraniums, foxtail and other ferns,, palms, and an elephant ear on the patio, all in containers. The patio faces east, and gets morning sun, and afternoon shade and dappled evening shade. There's a bed to the west that gets full sun. Any advice on the HOSTAS would be appreciated.

I truly don't want to walk around crunching on snails or slugs!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.