How do you break...

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

off the bottom of a terra cotta pot without cracking the pot? lol

I am trying to figure out how to take the bottom off of them so I can layer them inside each other for a succulent design. I bought 2 pots yesterday and I am now afraid to start the project. The pots are only a 6" and 8" size.

Donna

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

You might try using a chisel, starting from the hole in the bottom and working out, small bits at a time, tapping it with a small mallet. Still pretty risky. Maybe you can get a drill attachment that would work like a rotary saw disk and slice it off? Good luck.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

SoCal,

You might need to use a cutting blade on a dremel type tool. I think it's called a cut off disk. I'm guessing you have a rotary tool...not a drill.

Then you can use sand paper to smooth them off. Terra cotta is just clay, it cuts easily, but it also breaks easily.

You can just soak the pot in water over night, allow it to dry only to the point that it's not dripping or has standing water on it, then try the dremel.

~* Robin

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

SoCal,

I have a wet saw that I use. I use the saw to cut pavers (or tile). This is the best way.

Another option is to use a concrete saw blade in your circular saw, lots of dust, wear a mask. It you use a circular saw it is best to have a helper to spray small amounts of water where blade meets pot. Becareful not to jolt yourself. Spray bottle with nozzle on jet works best. Use small amounts of water, stand on dry wood. Or best just rent/borrow a wet saw.

If you can get the use of a wet saw you can cut up the bottom leftovers. Put some landscape block adhesive and make bridges to hold the pot firmly in place before filling with soil and plants. A pot stacked in a pot is unstable, hard to move, easy to knock over. Best to figure out a structure and glue it together.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Thank you all for the great advice.

I don't have a concrete saw blade or wet saw, but I "do" have a dremel...:-)) I will look into doing that idea tomorrow for sure. I am going to soak them overnite and try this method first.

Dale, that is a gorgeous picture you posted. I couldn't figure out what it was until I enlarged it. What a photo op that was!!
I am not going to really stack the pot into the bigger pot, just nuzzle it into the soil at an angle. I will post a picture of it when I'm finished....just hope it looks like what I'm picturing in my head. :-))

Donna

I finally got them cut off this morning. My neighbor saw me trying to figure out how to cut it with my Dremel and said he had a Rotozip saw we could use. I did soak them first and he took the bottoms off with no problem.

I have it all planted now and will post a picture soon.

Thanks for all your help,
Donna

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

You go Donna!
Sidney

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Donna,

Oh what a nice person to come to your aid - First Aid, that is!

~* Robin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.