Bog garden and Japnese irises

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Finally cleaned out the bog garden. It was full of oak seedlings,variegated acorus,*%@! quaking grass and other crud. I bought a collection of 9 jap.irises last year,I've been holding over in pots until I got the hard wood forrest out of the bog but now I've read,they need to be on the dry side when dormant so there goes my idea to put them in the bog. Where do you plant your's? I would put them in my (high)shade bed on the west side of the yard but water to that side is disconnected because of plumbing problems and heaven only knows when hub's will get it fixed.

P

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi - not sure where you got your info, but I have Japanese iris in my pond and in my bog. I'm in 5a here and they wintered in pots IN the pond. Now they are looking great with new shoots all over. Out of 15, I did lose 2, but I think that was because they were in more shallow water and probably froze. If you asked this question over in water gardens, I'm sure you'll get alot of good advice. Hope this helps - Dax

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Which garden show did I see that on?....oh Yeah,Gardeners Dairy...I think. Been several years ago.

I almost snatched the sib'Butter and Eggs out with a handful of tree seedlings and grass,it was so small. Don't no why it's dwindling.

P

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Bigred... I've had the same problem.. I have read in many places that the JI to NOT like to have wet soil during the dormant stage. I've not tried it because I cant afford to lose any ;)

I finally put my LA's in the bog and the JI near the bog and pond so I can throw a little extra water on them during the hot summer... I "think" sibs do not like too much moisture ?

charlotte

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I just received Bourgondien catalog(from whom I bought them) and it says "acid and moist,well drained soil"so I'll be putting mine close to a water source because my bog is the overflow for one of my ponds and is flooded when we get a hard rain and when I run the sprinklers.Guess I better get that sib out too.

P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.