I think I killed a hosta

Duvall, WA(Zone 7b)

Has anyone had experience with Hosta crown rot. I think I ahve a case of it with one of our Blue Mammoths. It dwindled just a bit earlier than the others and has not yet come up though the others have. I dug around it a bit and didn't see any shoots. How can I verify if it's crown rot?

Thanks,
jb

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

JB, you can take a shovel and dig around it and lift it if you know exactly where you planted it. it won't hurt it, if it is still alive you can plant it back, if it's dead buy another one. it's awfully hard to kill a Hosta ,but we had an extremely wet winter. I have over 100 cultivars of hosta and they're not all up yet, but the are showing new shoots. lol hostajim1

Duvall, WA(Zone 7b)

Excellent advice. I already took care of the "buy a new one". There's a hosta coop going on and I got 2 new ones for $12 each.

Thanks,
jb

PS In case you don't know what a coop is check this out, http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/593439/

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

Junior,
I dont know about you, but up in Lakewood, NO, NOT the "Lakewood" in Tacoma, THAT is NOT the REAL Lakewood, the COOP was where we kept our chickens, or the feed store in Arlington, ;) heheh

Regards;
bluelytes at yahoo dot com

PS. If you did not mean COUP, I have NO idea.

Duvall, WA(Zone 7b)

My bad. Co-op. Daves has a Co-op forum where people organize buyers and a seller and get a discount.

jb

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi, bluelytes, Say are you from Arlington area? Dh and I lived up the Grandview for about 15 years. Off the old Hy. north of town by Bryant. I spent lots of money at the co-op. I had cows, chickens, horses, dogs, and pigs. I felt like old McDonald. LOL!
Debbie

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, $12 for a hosta? I picked up three at Wally World for $3 apiece.

Duvall, WA(Zone 7b)

What kind of hosta? Blue mammoths in this area cost around $20.00.

jb

Salem, OR(Zone 8a)

These are whirlwind hosta. I do admit to being clueless about them.

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

Happy,
I was BORN in Arlington, lol. I know the area of which you speak very well. How could you give up Bryant for EAST of the Mts., :( Email me at d-mail or my other email of bluelytes at yahoo dot com. Do you remember Man Made??

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

SalemSunshine, be careful of the box stores I found Hostas with virus at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, last summer. when i brought it to their attention most didn't care. so I guess it's up to the buyer to compain. I didn't say don't buy from them just check them out first. I like a bargain like anyone else. I keep them quaranteed for a year just in case. good luck, hostajim1

Wow - I don't live in a real Lakewood? Then where am I? Now I guess I'm lost! And I'm wondering what all these lakes are around here! Well, just sign me up as 'confused'!
Pixydish, in the fantasy Lakewood.

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

PIXY,
Well, unless you take Exit 206 from I-5 just after you go past man made, and drive west about a mile, you are NOT in the REAL lakewood, ;) :))

I used to have a hosta, but it went missing. The name was Jimmy Hosta. Anyone seen it?

Best;
Bluelytes

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Speaking of Hostas! I finalley met Rutholive! What a wonderful lady!! She brought me a mini cattail and a huge old Hosta the other day and I gave her Water Hyacinths.
What a small world Bluelytes, How could you give it up for Olypmia??
Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.