the woes of the spring garden continue....

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

ok....everyone said you have to watch out for the monarda.....I loved the way it looked last year with these lilies that echoed the beautiful red flower, BUT now it has decided to take over.....will be chopping this back bigtime and banishing it to a corner of the garden where it isn't so hopsitable and it can spread all it wants....

Thumbnail by esw
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I have to agree with you on all counts.

(Zone 6a)

I just have the plain purple one and it spreads quickly for me to. Maybe not so bad cause most of it is in partial shade? I just pull it up where it's not wanted.........I really like it though :)

Steve

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

So, I don't suppose you want to hear that all of mine except one plant died over the winter.

(Zone 6a)

It might just be a bit late coming up,sprouting off last years stems. I seem to remember mine was the first year.

Steve

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

OMG....just finished digging out the monarda! It spread about 5ft in all directions from the initial 1qt pot! It is 3 years old......I dug under the tentacles and followed them back to the center... and back out to the others...rolled it all up like a carpet and lugged it over to a more open area....took off the sod, fluffed the soil some and rolled in the mat of monarda...spread some dirt overall to work into the crevices, tromped it in and watered well......
I potted up a few straggler tentacles in some pots too....hopefully it will survive.
Will be making cages for lilies tonight.....so much to do so little time

Thumbnail by esw

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.