Open today....

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Here are a few SDBs open in my garden today.

Delicate Pink

Thumbnail by flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Firestorm

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Minidragon

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Priviledged Character

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Last one for today. Bijou.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Many, many, many more to come! :0)

Yorkshire,

Ooooh, 'Delicate Pink' has gone straight to the top of my loooong wish list.
Thank you for sharing those, they are all gorgeous :o)

Terri

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Terri!

Delicate Pink is new to me this year. I traded with laurief last year and this is one of the ones I received. I love her too. Delicate Pink is definitely the right name!

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

It's always nice to see your photos! I'm glad the season has started for you.
This is the first time I've seen Bijou.....adding it to 'the list'........oh dear!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Yes, 'Bijou' is very unusual. I'm glad I have it in my garden. Believe it or not, the bluish purple streaking is supposed to be there. It's not due to a virus or weather.

Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

Love that Firestorm!

Sandy

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

They are all beautiful. Bijou is quite interesting.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Open today are 'What Again'

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

and 'Tweety Bird'

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

More to come in the next couple of days!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

What did I tell you about Tweety? Darned ruffly thing is hard to capture fully open. ;-) But she is cute!

I'm always surprised at how What Again looks in other people's gardens. One of the few advantages my climate provides in terms of iris bloom is very heavy saturation of the anthocyanin pigments. I can't wait to see what Bijou looks like here. The poor little thing will probably turn completely blue! LOL!

Laurie

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Laura - - those are sooooo neat!! Great photos too!! If I could grow SDB's here in the desert - - Bijou would be one of them. :-)

~Margie

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Margie! Yes, the medians do well here and I'm glad of it. However, you can grow a lot of TBs better than I can so that makes up for it.

laurief~Yes, 'Tweety' is hard to photograph. VERY ruffly...just the way I like them! :0) 'Bijou' was bred in CA, so yes, it will be very interesting to see how it looks in Minnesota!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Open today are:

Tooth Fairy, my favorite little MDB.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Dollop. (I took the picture from the top so you could see that the inside is blue.)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

A new one for me this year, Awake.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Jazzamatazz

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Last one for today. Tattler.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

More to come! :0)

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Oh, I DO like Awake!

Laurie

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Woops, missed one! Last one for today is Jive. I took a top shot so that you could see the awesome color and pattern on this one!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Yes, I'm liking 'Awake' as well. This was it's maiden bloom. I want to take a picture after the sun starts going down. In the sun, you lose some of the beautiful pale blue tones and the pattern doesn't show up as nicely.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

You're right, Jive is awesome - a rounder, more ruffly version of one of my favorites, Pele. Wonderful!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I thought the same thing, Laurie. It reminds me of 'Pele' with much better form!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Pele is a very slow increaser for me. How does Jive compare with Pele in your garden in terms of increase?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You have so many really beautiful SDB! I'm with Margie. I wish that I could grow them too. Their sweet faces are really hard to resist.

Thanks so much for posting them Laura. Seeing them is something I wouldn't be able to do otherwise so I'm appreciating it a lot.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

doss,

Happy to post their cheery little faces! That is one advantage of living in a colder climate...all of the medians! However, some of the plants you get to grow as perennials make me green with envy!

laurie~

'Pele' is a very slow increaser for me as well. After three years, I still only have about 4-5 rhizomes. 'Jive', on the other hand, went from one rhizome to eight or nine in one season! :0)

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

OOOOHHHH! I love Jive! I ordered it from the co-op so I can't wait to get it, plant it and watch it grow! And I MUST get AWAKE (since they are so small, I won't have a problem find a spot for it).

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I agree, irisluvr. I love both of those. Here's a small clump shot of 'Jive'. I took it from above to show the pattern.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Here's a better shot of 'Awake'. In the shade you can see her delicate coloration a lot better.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

WOW! Luv'em!

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Very nice babies aren't thses little ones great so many colors and forms and the great clumps
I so enjoy them
:)
Anita

Hooks, TX

I just took a lovely stroll through your iris garden and loved every minute of it!!! Saw many that I would like to grow!

Please explain the way you are naming them with the wire loop - and what kind of material is the name printed on? I need a beetter way of labeling my irises and daylilies.

Thanks for the beautiful pictures. Your pictures appear more detailed than mine. I have a Sony 6 megapixel with a Carl Zeus(sp) lens but I think the booklet said for internet uploading, use the 680 (or something like that) resolution. That is the lowest setting. Is there a way to take the pictures with higher resolution and then shrink them?

Louise

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

So many wonderful irises. Thanks for the pictures, Elaine

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the compliments, Louise. I'm not very techy, so I don't know how to shrink my pictures. I always upload them in the large form. Sorry I can't be of much help there. You can take them in any resolution you choose. I think they recommend the smaller pictures so that if someone is on dial-up it doesn't take them as long to dowload it. I'm kind of a dummy when it comes to using my own camera.

I used 11.5" zinc markers with clear labels attached to the face. The clear labels disappear once they're attached, so it looks as if the name of the iris has been printed right onto the marker.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.