Help with lily questions

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Hi All,
I have a few questions. First off, does anyone know what the plant in this photo is? It has a small bud on it. Hope you can see it in the picture. It's kind of a blurry photo. Sorry. I planted a lot of lilies in November and this doesn't look like a lily to me. It is growing fast, but the tips are browning and dry.

I have a lot of lilies coming up all over the place. Am I supposed to fertilize them now, or should I wait or maybe I should have already done it???

Don't want to sound too dense, but it's hard to keep up with everything with working full time and everything else. You know what I mean? So thought I'd come here to the experts and get some feedback and advise.

Thanks for any replies.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

And here are just a few of the lilies coming up along with a lot of other things in the garden. What is a good fertilizer to use on them if that's what I need to do?
Thanks,
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Pictures didn't show up for me. Let me try again.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Here's the other one.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Your unknown might be some kind of allium. Post again when it opens. I just fertilized my lilies this last weekend with a fertilizer labeled "bulb food". It has a nitrogen number (first number) lower than the other 2 numbers (potassium and phosphorus). You can also use an equally numbered fertilizer (example 10-10-10). I fertilize again after bloom to help feed the bulbs for next season.

And yes, I know what you mean!

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

The first picture looks like allium (globemaster ??) It is normal for these to have foliage which are bleached a bit.

The second picture clearly show asiatic lilies planted between the ferns. The allium are in upper right corner (right ??)

Fertilize your lilies as soon as you see them in spring and again as they flower. You can fertilize now.. it is not too late.

Edited to say that I use 10-18-20 fertilizer, but 5-10-10, 10-10-10 or 10-20-20 will work, too. Avoid lawn fertilizer types (33-3-3, 29-3-4 etc). But almost any other annual plant fertilizer will work.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2006 11:36 PM

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

pardalinum,
That's it! Thank you so much. I do remember planting the alliums, but didn't know what they looked like when they started to grow. I've never grown them til now. Wow, so many things to learn and remember from planting bulbs. How soon we forget all we planted! LOL And I've tried hard to document everything I buy and plant as I buy things. But after a while, I forget, especially when I've never seen what they look like when they're coming up. You are good!!!

kdjoergensen,
Thank you too. You are correct. And I'm glad to hear it's 'normal' to have the leaves a little bleached looking. I was wondering what was wrong with them....whatever they were. LOL Thanks for the info on fertilizing. I will get it done now.

I don't know what's going on with the posting of pictures. When I first post, I see the picture, then it seems to disappear. Apparently, you guys could see the pics though.???

Thanks again to both of you. You've been a big help to me. ;o)
Sherry

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.