Iris idenification

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

This plant is growing in my neighboorhood along with blue ones. I have admired it for several years and asked the homeowner about it. The response was "it was here when we bought the house" and have no idea. A friend told me that it was a Japanese or Siberian iris. I checked that out and It didn't seem to resemble either of those. It seems more like a Dutch iris,iris Hollandica. Anyone know for sure? I would like to plant some of them this fall.

Thumbnail by Rocco
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Maybe I. bucharica?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I am willing to wager that it's a Dutch Iris because of the leaves. The color is right for I. Bucharica, but the leaves aren't. I have I. Bucharica and the leaves resemble corn.

Yeah, I think you're right. I planted some bucharica last year but they didn't come back:-( It's hard to tell how tall those in the picture are, bucharica is short. My dutch iris tend to get stringy leaves like that when they get overcrowded.

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

I have unnamed Siberian Iris that look just like yours. Or anyway, I think they do..........

Thumbnail by 1gardengram

1gardengram, yours look like Dutch also. Did you grow them from bulbs?

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

Yes, I did. All the leaves in my picture are the daylilies coming up behind them. These were sold to me as Siberian and they have such a different flower shape and leaf shape from my TB iris. They are also fragrant, which none of my other iris are. I don't know what you are identifying as "Dutch". Is that a completely different kind than the TBs? I'm still learning so much............

Diane

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

This is another view of the iris showing the foliage. The tallest flower is about 24 to 26 inches high. I will check the Siberian iris again.
The Dutch iris is an iris hollandica. I have seen pictures of the Dutch plant in several of my plant catalogs and they look similar to the one that I have posted,but not exactly the same.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Thumbnail by Rocco

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.