White woods aster under crabapple tree?

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Hi all,
I bought some white woods aster (Aster divaricatus) at a native plant sale, then as usual came home and tried to figure out where to plant it in a good shady spot. It seems like it would do well as a ground cover under a tree, so I thought about putting it under our very dense crabapple tree.

I'm wondering, though, whether a crabapple tree is too much of a water hog to support a groundcover? Our turf grass stops abruptly at about its drip line, so I'm assuming something must be going on -- either it's way too shady for grass (therefore good for woods aster) or it's way too dry for anything.

What say ye wiser minds?

Laurie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I think that you are right in your thinking. Grass won't grow in shade. I can grow ajuga under a crabapple tree so I think that it's the shade problem. Since your Asters will grow with Hosta and Astilbe, I imagine that it will be OK with your shade even though the cultural remarks I see say part shade.

All you can do is the experiment and see if it works. Native Ginger might be another thing that might work for you, and Japanese Forest Grass. And there are some Carex that will be happy in the shade. Morrowii Ice Dance is a very fast cover and beautiful but spreads by runners so be sure that you have a place for it.

You could plant your Asters with some violas. Beautiful!

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the tips & encouragement! Here in the hot and humid south, even shade isn't really shady, so I bet the asters will appreciate the protection of the crabapple.

Off to plant -- it just rained, hallelujah!

Laurie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Hope that it works out for you Laurie
Doss

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.