Raintree has a sale on 2' or 3' Red JP maples

Mesilla Park, NM

Don't know how well they will do here, but I ordered 4 of them. At this price, if I lose them again, it won't make me cry..lol (at least not a whole lot) and I can experiment with locations.

http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/productdetails.cfm?ProductID=M329

I hope the link works.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the heads up. It looks as if they are red seedlings as I can't find 'red' listed as a cultivar. Red Pygmy and Red Dragon yes.

I don't know too much although I would find it hard to believe that they could sell grafted trees for this price.

Don't get me wrong. I have 3 seedlings and I love every one. They are great trees. You just won't know how tall and wide they'll get until they grow up. :-)

Enjoy!!!

Mesilla Park, NM

Hi there Doss,
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.. what I was thinking is that if they start off as seedlings and maybe they have a chance to acclimate more than the 15 gallon ones did that I lost. The pots are here and waiting for their arrival..lol. This time I have a plan, will try them out under the trees and bushes, then try to keep them small.

What do you think? Don't have any expierence with them other than I've killed some.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The only way that I've killed them is to put them into the sun too fast when they have been under shade cloth. They call it 'hardening' when they gradually move them into a new position. Wind can be a problem in addition to sun. If you have them in pots any of them need to be grown in part shade in order to keep from burning too much.

The thing about seedlings though is that they are the tougher plants. Yours should be happy in full sun in the ground if you move them there gradually.

It will be a great experiment anyway. I had to do the same and came out with one incredibly beautiful seedling, luckily. I've posted this photo before but I wanted you to see that seedlings can be really beautiful - of course they are all different and I've seen at least one 30 feet tall.

You won't have risked too much anyway. A good start.

Thumbnail by doss
Ferndale, WA(Zone 8b)

Hey Gourd,
I am from Redlands, just 15 miles from you. How are your seedlings now?
I have recently ordered 30 different JM seedlings from e-bay. Some have burned in the sun even though it is half day sun. Probably too quick out of green houses. I think they'll be fine though, seeing new leaves already! Moreno Valley is quite warm, but good luck with your babies. Would love to hear an update after 3 months.

Love, Freebird

This message was edited Jul 17, 2006 10:34 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.