homeless Canna

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

This poor homeless plant has found a home. Good night and good luck.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2006 6:33 PM

This message was edited Apr 20, 2006 6:41 PM

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

dmail sent

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Dale , Sending you a Damil.
Patti

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Dale ,
What is the wide strap like leaf with a white stripe down the middle in the photo above?
Patti

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Rose, it is Hippeastrum, I think it is called 'Mrs Garfield', but I have seen at least one other name given to it. It has a light pink flower w/ darker pink netting. I lost the photo I had of it. If blooms early, Feb and seems to be sterile, even with crossing w/other Hipps. It goes semi-dormant in summer if it is in the ground. In a container it is evergreen. Makes lots of offsets. Not really showy in flower, but I like the leaves. Leaves are much smaller than the Dutch hybrids. I had to quite sending photos tonight, something is wrong with the site and it keeps dropping me.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think I may have this one,but hasn't bloomed for me. Do you think it will ever bloom I have it in a pot?
Thanks, Patti

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

If it is a big pot. It is a shy bloomer, every other year in my pot and I am a big user of Osmocote. It makes big clumps if kept well fed. The one in my picture is only a few months old (8-9?). I put some offsets in the ground last summer and they are doing well, they bloomed this year. I just keep it as an oddity.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

That hippeastrum is being offered here as H Silhouette, but is in fact a species and is shy to flower.

If you read this forum it will give some answers

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/amaryllishippeastrum/msg0117034931005.html?3

Some pics

http://aolsearch.aol.co.uk/image?query=%27hippeastrum+silhouette%27

I had considered buying one myself, but the cost for now put me off!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Wallaby,

I have many small offsets, you can have some, trade?

I have found a reference to this bulb at Kew/RHS. They called it a hybrid, but, the pictures on your hyperlink are small and the flowers seem a little different from mine. Climate difference? Their is too much information on the web for me to keep track of all my plants.

I have lost my photo of the flower. It is on one of my 40 photo disks. Someday it will show up again. Until then.....

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Yes dale! I tried sending a dmail but web site wet gaga, try again!

That is a very pretty garden. Your bulb must be a hybrid of it, species generally set seed while hybrids make offsets. Those catalogue pictures are always over-coloured anyway.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.