What's blooming for us in Canada?

(Zone 6a)

This time of year is great! Waking up in the morning with the sun shining outside and then seeing plants in bloom. I'm really (more then usual) enjoying this spring.......I feel like I went into hibernation over this winter and now I'm finally waking up. So hows this spring been treating everyone else? What blooming for you?
I've got some mini daffs and big ones, a tiny flowering almond that going to bloom for the first time, wood violets, periwinkle, Sanguinaria and siberian squill. Thats what I've got blooming now.......
I'm looking forward to hearing from you :)

Steve

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Let's see.....I have mini daffs, siberian squill, some dogtooth violet, hyacinth, crocus, periwinkle, and common violets blooming right now. Big daffs and tulips almost ready to bloom. Lot's more coming up, but not close to blooming yet.

--Ginny

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Ok, I have tulips, daffs, narcissus,wild pansies, hyacinth, scillia, and crabapple blossoms all in bloom right now. Crocus have all finished unfortunately. I never get tired of seeing them. Lilacs have big bursting buds, so it won't be long for them. Alliums too, are all in bud. Iris are getting bigger by the day. Ya gotta love Spring! Forgot to mention my Rhododenrums, all in bloom. : )

Don Ü

This message was edited Apr 22, 2006 8:54 AM

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Pulmanaria, bluebells, blue scilla, tulips, clematis, some of the first bloomer are popping, and yes, not long for the roses.....eg. "Canary Bird"....and some of the Rugosa Roses also! E

(Zone 6a)

It sounds like you've all got great gardens that your enjoying!!!
Everything comes out so quick at this time of year, nothing then a month later we have blooming gardens...

Ginny - Are the dog tooth violets hard to grow? I read somewhere that they can take a few years to flower after you plant them?

Don - Lucky you! You've got apple blossoms.....Our lilacs are right behind yours with little buds popping, they'll probably flower in abaout a month.

Roselaine - I wish my roses were even close to flowering.....They're just leafing out. I'm going to have to look up the 'Canary Bird' variety, I've never seen that one before.

Steve

ottawa, Canada(Zone 4a)

Hi All:

All I have are crocus (crocii ??) and snowdrops here in Zone 4.

The crocus are beautiful. Looks like an alpine meadow. This unseasonably warm weather has brought everything out quickly. There are bees all over the crocus.

I should have tons of species tulips blooming in a few weeks.

Cheers

Steve

(Zone 6a)

Your garden sounds nice Steve. I've got the picture in my mind already......
It's funny, the zone differences.....my snow drops have been done for a while and yours a blooming now. When I see a certain plant is done in my area I don't really think that it's still flowering somewhere else. It's pretty cool.
Thanks for your post,

Steve

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Scillia now and my wood violets should be blooming soon.

Do house plants count??? Enjoying the coolness of my porch is my Epiphyllum that will be putting on a gorgeous show soon.

This message was edited Apr 18, 2006 10:36 PM

Thumbnail by Lilypon
(Zone 7b)

I'd love to see a picture of that when it opens...

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'll be posting it! ;) It's a major event here to see one open.....this one has another 5 buds coming on the other side (not seen) as well. :)

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Steve (SW_gardener) - I actually have found the dog tooth violets to be very easy to grow. I planted the bulbs in the fall and up they came this spring. I wouldn't hesitate to plant them if I were you.

Also, I have a couple of clumps that were dug up from a naturalized woodland nursery bed for me by the owners last spring. They gave them to me for free because, apparently, once they are established the bulbs tend to move deeper into the soil every year and it's almost impossible to lift them with all their parts. Well, those little darlin's are sending up so many new sprouts I'm pretty sure all the necessary pieces are there ;-)

--Ginny

Edited to add: My source for most of my bulbs and plants is Gardenimport.com. They're a little expensive, but the quality of the product is more than worth it.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2006 6:22 AM

(Zone 6a)

I went and checked out gardenimport breifly and it looks like a great site!
Maybe I'll get some of the dog tooth violets this fall cause I know we were planning on getting some bulbs this year. And thanks for the info on growing them Ginny. I've read before they have to be planted sideways.....is that true?

Lilypon, I really like your Epiphyllum! Do they need full sun? And houseplants can count. With that I'll add my av's, flowering maple and peace lily.

Earlier this morning I was looking at my small patch of squill(the blue type) and there's a self sown white seedling!!! How exciting! I don't know if thats common or not but I thought it is pretty cool!

Steve

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thanks Steve. :) They like partial shade. In the summer I hang them on a tree branch.....my father had great luck hanging them under the rippled plastic that covers his carport. It seemed to allow just the right amount of light so that he'd have hundreds of blooms (on an old well established plant).

This message was edited Apr 19, 2006 9:36 AM

(Zone 6a)

Wow, I can imagine your fathers cactus must have been gorgeous.
I'm going to add Epiphyllum to my list of plants I want to get.........which has grown since I joined DG :) I'm looking forward to seeing the pics once you Epiphyllum is open!

Steve

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

I honestly don't remember if the dog toothed violet bulbs had to be planted sideways or not Steve. I know I followed the planting instructions that came with them - whatever they were LOL. --Ginny

(Zone 6a)

s'ok, just wondered. :D

Steve

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Nice looking Epiphyllum Pam, a plant I'd like to have. Does it need pampering during the winter? I would hazard a guess that it likes to be treated like a Christmas Cactus. Will be watching for your next picture. In the meantime, I was curious and came across this. Joan

http://www.epiphyllum.com/epiwhat.htm

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

It needs cool temperatures in the fall (or early spring) for buds to set Joan. That is what makes it a bit trickier to grow here......I've lost a couple when nights, that were supposed to only go down to -5 C, dropped down to -20 C.

I rarely saw Dad's epis really loaded.....there was just one summer that his older ones put on a spectacular show. He must have got them out earlier enough that year (and fed them just the right amount). The plant itself is ugly as sin (Dad used to overwinter his in my bedroom and they gave me nightmares).............BUT when it blooms!!! Ü

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

The Christmas cactus also needs the cool temps. in the Fall to help it set buds. I leave mine out in a sheltered spot that is up off the ground, so even if it does go below 0° they are not harmed. The garage is good too and you could try that with your Epiphyllum.

(good old c/p - I'd never remember how to spell that - lol)

Joan

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Another house-plant that's blooming right now ~ Hibiscus.

She'll spend the summer outside though.

Joan

Thumbnail by Joan6aON
Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Then we have 'Katharine Hodgkin' dwarf Iris. They are finished in one garden that gets much sun, and in full bloom in an area that gets sun in the afternoon only. Joan

Thumbnail by Joan6aON
Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

And a close up.

Thumbnail by Joan6aON
Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I really like that Iris Joan. :) I should have mentioned that I kept the epi in the porch but when it's lower than -5 C outside it will freeze.

(Zone 6a)

Joan, I wish I could see your photos....but for some reason they're not showing and I'm only getting a red x . Maybe they'll show tomorrow.....

Steve

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

I'm getting the same as Steve, Joan! E

(Zone 7b)

I'm not getting any pictures posted today.

(Zone 6a)

So maybe it was something with the site? The picture loading problem fixed itself last night after I restarted my computer.

(Zone 6a)

I just looked at your photos Joan and I very much like your Iris.
What variety is your Hibiscus? I love the way you took the photo so that only really the bloom is showing!

Steve

(Zone 6a)

this link was just givin to me in the Computer forum and explains why our picture weren't loading yesterday. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/593452/

Steve

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Thank you all. The tender Hibiscus (Hibiscusus?) don't seem to come with names, so I call it 'Orangey'. lol

Better suggestions would be most appreciated. :)

Maybe the map will be showing now and I can change my location.

(Zone 6a)

You could call it something like 'Raspberry Heart' ? I wish more plants now days came with their variety and latin names.....instead of things like 'tropical foliage' or 'frosted fern'. I bought something a while back called a spiderplant at HD but it looks more like a lily turf with spider plant like flowers? The flowers are on short stems in the foliage and no babies. It's a very confusing plant. I want to get pics of it and post them on the identification forum.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Couldn't wait any longer - have been cleaning off the perennial beds this week - even if it snows it won't be very cold!Coming up:pulmonarias, corydalis,primroses, peonies, lots of spring bulbs, my foxtail lilies are almost 2 feet high!, monkshood, a few hostas starting to poke thru, And today one shoot on my Helleborus which I planted early last fall. Some ground covers that I can''t remember names are blooming with pretty little blue flowers. And prettiest of all my hepaticas - one of the earliest perennials to bloom here.Here's a few pics - some were new last year so still not very big.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Another- sorry I dont have all the names.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A cowslip about to bloom

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Another hepatica

Thumbnail by fancyvan
(Zone 6a)

I love your hepaticas fancyvan!!! Are they easy to grow? The first photo is my fav for sure. now to add them to my ever-growing list....
What kind of corydalis do you have? I think I might get C.Lutea this spring from Canning perennials.......they've got so many good plants. www.canningperennials.com

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Your hepaticas are so pretty Carol, and a welcome sight for you. Sounds like your garden plants are going great guns now and will be looking for more photos. Joan

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

SW: hepaticas seem to do very well here - the blue one is 3-4 years old. They take a few years to get to a decent size. My new ones the flowers are out before the leaves.
I have several types of Corydalis. Lutea is very nice and self seeds liberally (which I do like about it) I also have C. elata and C.flexuosa.
It was a beautiful warm sunny day and I skipped my exercise class and spent most of the day in the yard.
Here is Fancy lounging on a bed of Woolly Thyme

Thumbnail by fancyvan
(Zone 6a)

Corydalis flexuosa 'golden panda' is the other variety I'm really on the lookout for. I think it is just stunning! Your dog looks very happy lounging in that thyme there. Your dog likes to lounge in the thyme but my rabbit likes to eat it....ALL!!! LOL

Steve

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

You got your exercise anyway, so no need to feel guilty. (I don't really think you're feeling guilty) :)

Fancy looks real comfy. I wonder what it is she likes about the thyme.

Joan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.