Goutweed vs. Maple tree

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I have a very large maple tree in my very small front yard. The only thing that will grow near it are dandelions. Grass doesn't take. I bought 5 plants yesterday of the variegated goutweed. I'm going to dig holes in between the large roots, amend the soil, plant the goutweed, and fertilize. What are the chances that it will become the groundcover I want it to? Tamara

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

The chances are pretty good that in a few years you will wish you'd never planted goutweed!

Actually, the chances are that in a few years not only will you wish you had never planted Aegopodium podagraria but your neighbors will also be wishing you had never planted Goutweed. There is a reason why one of the common names to Aegopodium podagraria is Snow-On-The Mountain.

Aegopodium podagraria is listed as being both noxious and invasive-
http://plants.usda.gov/java/nameSearch?keywordquery=Aegopodium+podagraria&mode=sciname&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

Equilibrium, that's true too!

With minimal soil amendments, Hosta should be just fine underneath a mature Maple where no grass is growing. Hosta are the tried and true response to extremely dry soil conditions often present underneath Maples in my area but I've seen people also successfully planting Foxgloves for added height and visual interest in that they come in an array of colors. Snowdrops (also deemed invasive but they don't do nearly the damage that Snow-On-The-Mountain does) can also be planted in and amongst other plants for an early spring display that other plants could grow through. Extremely dry shade is combatable, it's just a little trickier. Now, if one is in a position and willing to haul out the garden hose or watering can a few times during the summer, there would be more choices.

In TN, I had a maple tree and a dogwood tree about 15 ft apart. All underneath them I had a flowerbed. I grew lily of the valley, hostas, pulmonaria, dicentra, trilliums, lots of wild stuff. They all did great with minimal watering and lots of mulch.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Update: I did plant the bishop's weed, and it looks like it's no match for the "roots on steroids" maple. It's been about 3-4 wks and there is NO new growth (am I being too impatient?). In fact, 2 of the plants look rather distressed. *sigh* We shall see.... Tamara

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, it's been another month, and it is barely sending up new growth. In fact, if I don't water it soon, it will all die. *sigh* What's one man's weed is another man's treasure... ;-) Tamara

Chesapeake Beach, MD

It the case of goutweed, it's really NOT relative -- ie that trash/treasure bit just isn't applicable here. Why? Because goutweed isn't just a weed, it's a noxious weed. http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/aepo1.htm

As a general matter, you are being too impatient as to growth rate, and just about any new transplant requires water initially even if it is drought tolerant once estblished. Still, rather than trying to save these plants, I gently suggest you view this as an opportunity to select better plants for this location.

In addition to some of those mentioned above, epimediums do very well in dry shade.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi zone5girl. I have Bishop's Weed in my garden. Woe is me. After being there for years it reverted to all green leaves from variegated ones. It is extremely invasive. (it even comes up in lawns) If your's takes off you'll have a heck of a time keeping it under control. I'd go with the Hostas. Especially the smaller varieties. I keep mine confined to a stretch of fence. (with much effort) . The plant is popular at garden centers although I've never seen it for sale at nurserys here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.