i cant keep mine alive !

Windham, NH

when ever i get a new venus fly trap it always dies how do i keep it alive?

Take the humidity dome off of it and plant it in a nice pot of sphagnum peat and rinsed sand and take it outside and set it in a nice sunny spot. You'll need to place it in a drip tray and keep the drip tray filled with distilled water or rain water. If the plant dries out, it will die. New Hampshire has a wide range of temps and your State ranges from a zone 5 down to a 3 or 4 I think. If you are in USDA zone hardiness of zone 5 and if you are so inclined, you could probably easily create a small bog in your yard and plant this VFT directly outside year round. it would need some mulch over the winter but that isn't all that difficult. Otherwise, you can move your pot into your garage for the winter in front of a nice sunny window and just make sure the soil remains damp to the touch (not moist) over the winter months until you set your pot back outside the following spring. Your VFT is a temperate species not a tropical species. It needs a dormancy just like all the trees around you that drop their leaves every fall before going to sleep for the winter. You are probably killing them because you are treating it like a houseplant and my guess is you are watering it with tap water. Tap water can be a big no no. These plants can only be watered with RO, RO/DI, rain water, distilled water, or tap water that has been tested that has a ppm lower than around 50. Most tap water is quadruple that. My tap water has such a high ppm that any carnivorous plant watered with it would be dead in no time flat.

For what it's worth, we've all killed VFTs repeatedly. Once you figure out what will work best for you, you will have many surviving and thriving year after year. It just takes a little bit of time for the fact that these are temperate species to sink in.

Best wishes to you.

Windham, NH

Thanks, don't know if i can save the one i have now but hopefully the future VFT's i aquire will fare much better.

You'll be fine. We have all killed our fair share! Even when you do everything right, they sometimes die.

I hope you buy a few more and try again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.