What is wrong with my poppies?

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Are these little spots normal?

Thumbnail by konkreteblond
Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I know this isn't normal. What is that, powdery mildew? I wonder if there's any use in trying to control it since they won't last much longer anyways.

Hmmm...that makes me wonder...is all powdery mildew the same? Or does certain types cling to certain plants? I don't want it spreading.

...or was it the 98 & 100 degree temps the last 2 days?

This message was edited Apr 17, 2006 11:08 PM

Thumbnail by konkreteblond
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

It looks like powdery mildew and poppies are susceptible to it. Warm days/cool nights = perfect conditions for powdery mildew. It can spread to other plants that are susceptible. It only takes 72 hours for powdery mildew life cycle, so it can get out of hand in a hurry.
You can spray susceptible plants with neem as both a preventative and a cure. If you've never used neem on certain plants, try a little bit at first to see if it is going to cause spots. Neem is toxic to bees. There is a new organic product called colloidal plant wash that is supposed to be good too.
Here is a link with all you ever wanted to know about PM http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/02902.html

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks! I'll go out this evening after it cools off and the bees are gone and spray them with Neem. I certainly don't need to be battling this already!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Try the neem on a small area first, I don't know if it is phytotoxic to poppies(i.e. spots the leaves).
I went out to check my poppies, it has already gotten too hot for them. They look bad. I think I planted them too late.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.