Hydrangea with nutrient deficit .. Phosphorous ?

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

I think this cutting has a problem. I suspect it is a nutrient deficit, phosphorous perhaps ?

It has been given regular fertilizer, so I don't think it is because it is starved for nutrients (in fact I am sure it is not) ..
The leaf margins are turning purplish red on the old leaves.

what could cause this ? what about too high soil pH ?

Anything I am missing ??

Thumbnail by kdjoergensen

Here is one slightly closer

Thumbnail by kdjoergensen
Eureka, CA

Okay, I wanna know too!!! I have a very nice plant in a large container on the deck. Flowers well, grows well, but it does have this coloration on the leaves (some of them).

Give us some help?? :o)

Sanna

Two things come to mind - first possibly too much sun, and second possibly too much fertilizer, which can cause fertilizer salts to build up in the soil. You say that the old leaves are turning color, but not the new ones? Are the edges at all crisp to the touch on the old leaves? More information about this plant - the cultivar, if it's in a pot, etc, would be helpful. Has it flowered?

It has not flowered. It is under growlight indoors (as are 4 other cuttings which are not showing the symptoms). They are all fertilized alike, which is mildly. This one show purpling of the leaf margins on the older leaves, not the newer leaves. Generally, it is not showing signs of overfertilization and leaves are not burnt. All are growing in 4 1/2" square nursery pots and were all transplanted to gallon pots within last moth. (the purpeling showed before transplanting).

The only thing I can think of is some kind of root problem or very high soil pH (have not tested this pot) which could prevent uptake of phosphorous (e.g. phosphorous deficiency).

Do you know which hydrangea cultivar it is?

See your D-mail. Rgds

You know, I'm thinking that since these are rooted cuttings, I would pot them in fresh soil and harden them off. If there is a nutrient deficiency, using fresh potting soil would be the first thing toward solving that. What are you using for fertilizer?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.