Fauna of the NW

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

We've seen some of the beautiful scenery and flora the area offers. How about some of the animal inhabitants in their native surrounds? This photo was taken by a motion-activated camera east of North Bend WA ten miles from me- yikes!

We have the cunning cat and the oblivious deer. Doesn't she know she should be hiding in a pile of grass or brush somewhere? Hope it wasn't Bambi's mom....

I had a young cougar roughly 60 lbs sitting in front of my garage one evening watching me do dishes. I'll tell you the ole backyard barbeque isn't quite the same after you see something like that! Once I got brave enough to go outside I put up a sign on the garage to my husband that said " COUGAR: DO NOT LET ANIMALS OUT! BUY MORE LIFE INSURANCE!" LOL shame on me.

Thumbnail by Poochella

Wow! What a photo...
LOL more life insurance......
I guess I would be looking behind my back every time I was outdoors after seeing what you did. I just love the wildlife but a Cougar in my yard is too wild for me. You watch your back!

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

That's an amazing photo! What was the outcome?

LOL at the sign you left your hubby.

We are totally fenced in. Which I'm glad about as we have coyotes which are so ugly!

Gwendalou

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Annie, that is kind of scary. I think those big cats are the only animal that would scare the bejeebies out of me. I wouldn't like bears but cougars and mountain lions are in a category all their own. You be careful, Annie.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I am always careful and have the astute company of dogs when I walk in the woods nearby. We've had bear here a couple times, nothing more than a nuisance really, ditto for the yipping coyotes; but the cougars are cunning and quiet. I count on the dogs' good noses to scout out trouble for me, and so far, so good. A neighbor uphill from us lost two donkeys to a cougar- he's right on the fringe of wilderness before acres of state forest. Another neighbor in the much more developed, though still sparsely populated direction, lost all seven goats to a cougar in one year!

I would have had my goats in my livingroom just to save them after the first one was lost.
You can bet my goats were locked in at night after I heard of that cougar encounter, as well as when I saw the young cougar. So far so good, and that's been a few years ago now and nothing seen since. I actually feel fortunate and I bet it was a once in a lifetime sighting. ( crossing fingers LOL)

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

All I can say, Annie, is WOW!
Yes, I hope that I don't hear from you in the hospital after a cougar attack.
I love cougars. They are such pretty animals but they are still a wild animal and very smart.
I am a cougar anyways. I went to WSU so that may be a reason on my liking them too.

But that pic is unreal!!!
Annie, be careful!

Carol

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

Wow...that's very close. I am hoping that we don't encounter anything like that. For now, I've only seen the following on the other side of our backyard fence:

Deer
Owls
Muskrat
Skunk (that one came RIGHT up to the fence, I was shooing the dogs in the house!)

...plus assorted birds of all sizes (Hawks, Cranes, Ducks, Geese, Yellow Goldfinches, Redwing Blackbirds, Robins, etc.)

Coyotes have also been spotted in our neighborhood, but I haven't yet seen 'em. Just make sure the cat is in the house when it's dark outside.

Winlock, WA(Zone 8a)

WoW Annie that gave me shivers! They are beautiful - in a PHOTO or on TV. Not in the yard. At the bottom of the hill on the main road is Cougar Flat Grange. I've heard it was named that cause we had cougars around. I've never seen one and hope not to. Hearing the dog bark one night and opening the drapes and peeking out to see an opossum (?) staring at me from the deck was creepy enough!!! Gutsy little nut coming right onto the deck and staring at me! We hear coyotes all the time at night and I have seen them along the road by our house and they always seem to make eye contact that gives me an uneasy feeling. Speaking of night sounds - love to hear a 'choir' of frogs. I'm always asking the grandkids or hubby when we're driving if they heard the choir we just passed by. We do have lots of elk around here. Luckily they don't stomp through our place destroying everything in site but we have watched them from the deck window behind the house and they've crossed in front of our driveway. Going to towns in either direction I can usually see a herd. Here's a couple of young ones I took pics of the other day in a herd.

Thumbnail by msantique
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Okay, so the man got bit on the calf by a 'playful' cougar while throwing a stick for his dog in Leavenworth WA today.... Note to self: "Don't throw sticks for the dogs anywhere near the woods!" Cats will be cats, won't they?

I love your elk photo Msantique. There used to be a few acres adjacent to the foothills and Hwy 18 passing well east of the Seattle suburbs from south I 5. We would often see a small herd of elk bedding down for the night at dusk or grazing there if passing by in the early a.m. hours. Now it is sculpted into an exit/entrance cloverleaf off that hwy with drainage ponds etc. Asphalt reigns and the elk are long gone. That's the way it goes, I guess; but I miss the elk.

We have coyotes routinely, hear them, see them occasionally.
One night they were obnoxiously yipping about 50 feet out our bedroom window at 4 a.m. right along the goat pasture fenceline. I got up and opened the window to yell "Shut Up!" ( which is really rude and unlike me, but I had to get up in a couple hours for work and wanted to sleep LOL,) and I add that the coyotes didn't listen to me at all. Little scruffy monsters! Goats all okay, barking dogs gave the coyotes second thoughts, apparently.

Had an unfortunate episode with a drowned opossum in a former house with a swimming pool. The poor thing had apparaently fallen in overnight and couldn't get out again. It was floating under the bubble cover one uses to keep heat in. All I could see was that naked tail and as I rolled up the pool cover, steeled my nerves and told myself "This is going to be gross...." and it was. He was buried in a box and had his own little opossum funeral service, brief and to the point: " Happy Hereafter."

I asked someone once, if it was at all possible that baby opossums were cute and they practically screamed at me-- "NO!" We don't seem to have them here on this side of the mountain. No dead ones on road, none in yard. I still think they are a harmless, worthwhile scavenger, even if not too cute.

Here's one: deer WITHOUT couger. We were on Blake Island. No predators. and the deer are shy, but not afraid. This one was foraging in the open during the day. It's looking a bit scruffy losing its winter coat.

Incredible photo of the couger and deer. I just cannot believe the deer was that oblivious! That's one big kitty cat!

Thumbnail by
Issaquah, WA

That is an amazing picture of the cougar and deer. What was your friend's set up? I have a remote trigger for my camera but it's sensitive to light so hard to use. Not that I would want a photo like that in my backyard. I back up to Squak Mountain State Park, and my neighbors two doors down saw a cougar in their backyard a couple years ago. I haven't seen one, but we do have deer, coyotes, and bear. And very tame raccoons, they come right up to the door. Not to mention the least loved wildlife in my garden- slugs, which can get about 8 inches when they are busy eating the fresh flowers!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I got the cougar-deer photo in an email. I don't know who took it but they deserve kudos, nor do I know the camera set up. I know I won't go into the woods at night though!

For some reason, we just don't have racoons here. Could be the dogs hanging around all the time, I suppose. One night I heard our dog relentlessly barking and when investigating why, I was met by a very unhappy growling/hissing from under our deck. We have fenced in that area to keep housecats safe while they get fresh air and a ground eye view of squirrels and birds etc. So the 'kitty corral' contained some unhappy camper.

I ran downstairs to the window access to the corral and found this quarry (below.) He was really mad he couldn't find the way out again! And I've long ago sealed up the way he apparently got in. That's the only racoon I've seen anywhere near us in 16 years. Odd isn't it? No opossums either. We did/do have a resident bobcat that practically lived in our neighbors' yard hunting squirrels, so that may account for the lack of opossums at least.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA

There are quite a few raccoons here. One neighbor even complained of them being aggressive- said her dog was attacked by them and she was bitten rescuing him, a few years ago. They don't seem aggressive to me, but certainly bold- last year, one walked right up to our back door out to our patio and just looked at me. I'm sure bobcats would find raccoons a good meal, so that could explain their absence. I've only ever seen a bobcat once when driving toward the south of Tiger Mountain, though a friend of mine saw one once on the way back from visiting me, less than a mile down the road, so they are around.

Thanks again for sharing the cougar photo, it's really amazing.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I've recently learned that the reason we have so many bunnies here is that a number of years ago, some bright person got the idea to bring in coyotes to eat the bunnies and control the population. Well, coyotes don't eat bunnies, they eat fox. Fox eat bunnies. So we have no fox (only animal I've never seen here altho dh said he sees them occasionally) and a heck of a lot of bunnies.

Then there was talk to bring in grey wolves to eat the coyotes but people were too afraid to bring wolves in. Thank goodness someone has some sense!

On one part of the island, we have some very strange looking bunnies. This is over by the fairground. One year all the 4-H bunnies got loose and bred with the wild bunnies. The result is a huge lot of very odd and actually ugly bunnies over in that area. (And some very sad 4-H kids.)

I love the sound of frogs! I was so excited to buy a house with a pond so we'd have that sound. We must have the only pond on Whidbey with no frogs! Altho dh said we have one so it must be a toad or something that doesn't croak. I was going to put tadpoles in the pond but I read that fish eat tadpoles and I thought I was taking some of Pixy's fish so I didn't put the tadpoles in. Then dh said I couldn't have any of Pixy's fish as we have a heron that regularly visits (which I've never seen and find very hard to believe!) that would eat them. So now I'm back to hunting for tadpoles.

Oh the things we do....

Gwen

Saint Maries, ID

That is a cool photo Pooch... we have a problem with cougar here in St. Maries also.

A neighbor feeds the deer in the winter, so we have quite a problem with them foraging through our gardens. I like in town!

About 4 years ago there was a cougar bedded down a block away from us... I never saw him, but a friend of mine did... it came right out of the woods and stood not 20 ft. from her children. We called Fish and Game, but their feeling was to let it alone :( grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

When my youngest son was 12, and on his first elk hunting trip, he wandered away from my husband. He and my older son went looking for him and as they were trying to track him they found a cougar track right over our youngest's tracks! Needless to say there were no more hunting storys related to me LOL.

Take care,
Zazzy

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Zazzy your poor kid was being stalked- that's scary. I would break out the video games and remote for the TV and banish the elk gun if that were me. To heck with the great outdoors. Be a couch potato! ( Not really, but that is scary.)

Here's another series of email photos I got entitled " You worry about squirrels at the feeder?" The only comment forwarded was "Who makes that rope?"

Starting with the thumbnail,
Then advancing http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/poochella/Miscellaneous/bearhangingonropevertically.jpg

Further effort http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/poochella/Miscellaneous/bearonropestretching.jpg

Success!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/poochella/Miscellaneous/bearatfeederfinally.jpg

Thumbnail by Poochella
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I had an experience in my garden one morning when a black bear who was out digging up plants under my bird feeder and my wife woke me up to stop him. Well without thinking I put on my red bathrobe and ran out there to chase it off. When I reached the bed the bear stood up and got big on his back legs. I could see he was a bruin. Well living in montana we learn how to deal with bears and realizing that I had nothing but my bathrobe I made myself as big as I could. Lifting my bathrobe up over my head revealed to the bear that I too was a Bruin cause I had nothing under it. Well I proudly say that he then turned and dropped to all 4s and ran out of our house area and up the drive way and left. When my wife saw this she thought I was pretty awsome cause I scared him off and did it with out any weapon but my bathrobe. I have to this day been honored by my wifes complete trust in me in our next bear encounter. My concerns are what if I have clothes on? Hee Hee

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Hee Hee indeed Soferdig- robed defender of the turf! I meant to reply earlier to your great Bear Scare. I wonder if a "sow" waving a red robe could scare off a bear like a bruin?

Your daring defensive efforts remind me of the time I was walking in a fairly remote area with my dog I was "practicing" puffing up my rain coat flapping arms and looking big in case of a cougar encounter. This place has bikers and walkers on the weekends, but virtually no one during the week, 8-5 pm. There we were, hiking along with steep sloping brushy treed hillside to our left, steep treed slope to creek on our right. It's an old railway bed and a delightful place to bike or hike on level ground.

" Puff up and look big" up would go my arms- out would flap the coat. "Puff up and look big...." to the cadence of my steps. At about the tenth puff up, I was completely startled by breaking brush and crashing noises from high above. THIS IS IT-, but I was too stunned to puff up much and look anything but shocked and pee in my pants a bit- marking my territory,I like to think. LOL 8)

Crashing down the upper slope on a semblance of a sidetrail came a nice older homeless guy I'd seen before. He really liked dogs as they reminded him of his former life. When I asked him if he saw me approaching and how long he might have seen me coming down the trail, he just got a gleam in the eyes, hint of a fairly toothless smile and said "There are no cougars around here."

Busted by the homeless guy. We had a good laugh and proceeded our separate ways, I wondering how to deter homeless guys on a remote path, and he likely snickering at my anti-cougar efforts.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes but you were performing the ritual so when it happens you will respond instinctually to the Coug. I always thought that if you weren't in purple you would be ok. Hee Hee.
That is what I told my wife that I intimidated the bruin with a bigger stance and bruinness. She just laughed and hugged me.
I always carry a small boat horn that I think would scare off any bear charge when I'm hiking. As far as a cougar you would never have time.

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

SOFE,
I hope you were NOT going "scottish" under all that "puffing up". Maybe the homeless guy was.......well, you know.....not that there is anything WRONG with that. heheh

Best;
bluelytes

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Aye ma fruund. Ave com ot paick af iight. Maybe I should carry bagpipes in the woods around here. My boat whistle is my next experiment. Of course if it fails there will be no report from the huckelberries fields this August. The Bears are many and big up here in Kodiak. Look at this one. !0' 2" tall.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

PUFF UP AND CRY HELP! Check out those claws. Somewhere I have a photo of my clunky hiking boot well inside the perimiter of a huge grizzly print along a sandy riverside in Yukon Territory. Even saw a grizzly sow and her cub in the brush not far away, sniffing for us. We tried not to smell too much. Indeed, very impressive creatures when they stand up.

The boat whistle is a great idea Soferdig. My daughter got a battery operated bullhorn from Radio Shack to tell our dog to get away from her car as she drove up our road LOL, same for neighbor dogs. Definitely wouldn't work on your long clawed quarry above though.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Hummmmh. A bull horn with me singing "tiptoe through the tulips" might be even more terrifying. Good idea! ......... Oh no better yet play a Bob Dylan tune with a Joose Harp.

Redmond, WA

I used to work geo-tech a long time ago, I was out at a site near cougar mountain in issaquah, wa and I has having a wrap up discussion with the land crew and the PM. Apparently 2 minutes after I turned around from our huddle and had left - a cougar had bound through between the lot of them.. where i was standing... It ignored them I guess - wasn't too fond with the machinery (neither was I).

I did a little reading once and apparently this 'should' hold true - more often then not they won't hold their ground if you start fighting back. Brandish a stick, kick, fight, hit. Reason I understnad they already exert enough energy into a 'passive' kill.

However I had found this quote from a tracker today - "Movement causes a cougar to attack -- you try to back up, you try to run, he'll pounce." - Thought about that a little... won't help if the big bugger is sneaking up behind you.

I've seen bobcats and bears as well in North Bend

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

I saw something on Discovery Channel re: tigers. The indians wear masks on the BACK of their heads, to show a "face", since tigers PREFER an attack from the BACK, as opposed to looking at their prey. Dont know if the same applies to mountian lions or not. Any volunteers to try?? lol

Best Regards;
bluelytes

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

We have mountain lion attacks on large animals in Montana often. The typical attack is claw marks up the back legs and the neck above the sholders is chewed open as they do their initial attack. Then when the animals neck goes down they take out the throat. All cougars stalk their prey for a long time before they decide on the kill.
I had a wonderful experience in the winter skiing up in North Fork area north of Kalispell. I was tired of playing cards and the group was warming up so I decided to have some quiet time and skiied down to the river. It was full moon and the trip 2miles down to the river was beautiful. We don't have grizzlies in the winter so no bear spray. I did have my 9mm (small but effective) pistol. After arriving on the river I took off my skiis and sat down on the snow and watched and listened to the winter night. After a while I got up and started to put on my skiis when I saw to my astonishment Cougar tracks that came right up to where I was sitting! They had turned around and went back into the woods. Now I had 2 miles in the full moon to ski back up to the cabin on a trail that was surrounded with fir trees. Knowing that there would have been no time to respond to an attack, I started back. Pistol in hand I retraced my tracks back up to the cabin. I have never been prey before and wow what an experience! After arriving safely I had the strongest adrenaline response I have ever had. Thank you mountain lion for only being curious. I know now just what that deer felt. Nothing, I never sensed the presence of that cat.

This message was edited May 15, 2006 8:28 PM

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Broken Geiger you are one lucky person. I wonder what made it fly through a group of people without stopping?

Soferdig, you are also so lucky. That would have been the longest two mile return trip..... So we can't blame the poor deer at the beginning of the thread then? He/she was up against a silent enemy.

We had a bobcat in our garage one night- something tripped the light by walking thru the beam at the base of the open door, I got a Maglite out because at 3 a.m. I wondered what it was! ( I was up for a drink at the kitchen sink) Tall, feline, short tail, tufted eartips,a bit spotty and mad as heck that I kept the flashlight on him. He used to routinely chase the neighbors' squirrels or hang out in their squirrel feeder tree, but I haven't seen him or tracks or scat lately.

Stay safe out there!

Olympia, WA

I hate to burst bubbles, as I was absolutely stunned by the photo ( I grew up in NorthBend/Issaquah area) - BUT - I have learned to not trust everything I see........

http://pasty.com/pcam/nalwine/trail_cam_pic_Keeweenaw_2_0

Check the link (from 2 years ago) and see if you don't agree ....

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Well my bubble is burst :) How on earth did you find that photo on the linked site? Now that you mention it, look at the undergrowth- no ferns, no Oregon Grape, no slugs. Doesn't look at all like our NW woods. I don't know Michigan or Wyoming landscapes. If it is a fake, I'm in awe of their skill in merging two photos.

I guess it's just another non-urban legend then.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You better not rest yet. I agree that the photo is not of Tiger MT but the mountain has cougars on it. Just think how many park their red cars at the trail head! LOL There are cougs in residential areas. We have snow here and see tracks every winter. You need to read the story of the Cougar (real one) that was in the park at west point where the sewage treatment plant is. It was there I think for months before it was captured by a whole mass of police, animal control, and volunteers that covered every inch of that park in search of the critter. I think that is where the idea for the book "Harry and the Hendersons" was created. I remember in Upland Calif I was in a pool late at night swimming when I heard a comotion and saw 3 coyotes jump the fence and run across the pool area and jump the next fence to the next yard. Now I was at least 12 miles from MT Baldy through busy city.

Olympia, WA

OH, no one is resting, Soferdig ...not at all - we have cougars here as well as there (wherever "there" is) .....it is only that w/ all the digital imaging and layering and such - it would be relatively easy to create this image. I was disappointed to learn that this was not a "real" photo - because what an awesome shot it would have been. The cougars here in Thurston County were killing animals about 3 years ago .......I don't think there have been recent reports.

Right now the PNW is having an influx of black bears into municipal/residental areas - and, of course, the coyotes keep our kitty and bunny population in check. I have kept my cats in the house, but I have watched the coyotes packing bunnies right from this computer room window.

Ponchella - it took some doing to find the picture - but I had this gut instinct and followed it ...I think my Google parameters were cougar deer hoax .... there are other cougar hoaxes out there, so it was a matter of checking each one and I didn't have to look too far. Don't feel badly about being duped - I got my bath of fire when I believed the kidney harvesting stories - yea - and I emailed the Seattle TV stations - demanding to know why the information was not being given to us ........sheeeeshhhhhhhh.....yeah, color me stupid! LOL That was the first and last time. They were gentle with me - explaining the urban legend phenomenon.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Well good job on the google search, wanna. I love google: it's the world at your keyboard in seconds, just amazing. I feel better for fate of the above deer now!

Speaking of google, on a rainy day some of you might want to read the harrowing account of Bones the cat vs the bobcat. You can almost share the experience through the eyes of the owner. Photos document the tale as well. I have no reason to believe this is myth.
http://www.bear-tracker.com/bobcat.html

Olympia, WA

Oh, what a great read!!! Yes, I was right there - worried about Bones!!!!!!! Thanks so much for the link!!!!!!!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Well, the bruins have stuck home. We' ve gathered reports of various sightings getting closer and closer to home over the past two weeks: " A big boar" "Three different colored bears in our back yard" " A sow and two cubs..." The dog went ballistic at 0400 so of course I let her outside. She seemed to be focused on the area behind our garage where the garbage cans are stored and, sure enough, I could hear the unmistakable crunch of Yogi's weight/paws of my leaf bags adjacent to the garbage cans (they are waiting to be shredded into mulch/compost.) This a.m. there were two downed cans of garbage, teeth punctures in those cans and all sorts of cat and dog food bags shredded to bits strewn about the yard along with all the other usual garbage. No one showed up for the clean up party but moi!

Interestingly, there seemed to be no interest in the fermented Chachee's Medium hot salsa. Really good stuff, too.

Olympia, WA

It has been quiet on the bear scene for the last week or so - after the flurry of fur before that. Now - here you go - starting it up all over again - and in the heat of the record breaking temperatures! Stay cool and stay safe!

Vicki

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Ahhh now we know why bear spray is made up of peppers. You just have to feel sorry for a bear born in Mexico. LOL

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Breaking animal news.... Our dog just cornered the varmint below between and behind two garbage cans. I don't know if it's a mountain beaver or some other member of the family rodentia. No tail that I could see. All I know is that it bit or hissed at the dog a few times enough to send her packing so I was quite jittery taking photos LOL. I did not, however, do that sissy girl thing standing on one leg like a flamingo while whining "eeew." FYI

Anyone recognize this little gal or guy? It's about 8 inches nose to butt, 4 inches wide, cute whiskers, long scary claws! There have been a few 3 inch holes or so showing up without the usual mole mounds around the yard. Do you suspect I found the culprit?

Peekaboo!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/poochella/Miscellaneous/varmintpeekaboo.jpg
A better view:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/poochella/Miscellaneous/varmint706frontalview.jpg

Thumbnail by Poochella
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Ah yes the common wild guinea pig. Mountain Beaver. They are kind of quiet and don't do much dammage so enjoy the native friend. Much better than our Pack rats.

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

SOFE,
YOU are the VET, if you DONT KNOW WHAT that is, we sure dont, lol

POOC,
Looks like a RAT to me!! DEATH is TOO GOOD for it.

Best;
bluelytes

Olympia, WA

In my Master Gardener class, we learned about how these guys can strip a rhody of vegetation in short order .........so just make sure you don't have any of those cute holes near your rhododendrons. Now, I have not experienced this, I have not seen it happen - it is only stuff someone crammed in my head - and sometimes the cramming causes stuff to get messed up. Any other folks out here familiar with this concern?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.