Who are we? Introductions......

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

As one who tends to "lurk" rather than post..I'm wondering who Leaflady has been successful in recruiting for our forum. I'll start out. Home is Clay Center Kansas (home and gardens, and pond are there) live during the week and work in North kansas City (deck, planters and flowers here). Looking forward to the exchange of ideas, photos and communications. I promise to try and do better at having the camera with me and post more pictures.

Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

I am in columbia MO. Just have a patio/balcony, lotsa shade., but I am already filling it up with goodies..
Hope to post pics soon..I'm not all the way into the digital age..still have a regular camera, although I do get my pics on disc..

Marshall, MO(Zone 5b)

Marshall, MO here. Deck and patio plus about 2 acres of weeds with a few flowers and veggies tucked in here and there.
Huffy 1

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I am also in Columbia, Mo and have just found Dave's Garden. We live on about 11 acres. It is old strip mine ground so not very fertile. Have a lot of wooded area and have put in some flowers and trees around the house. I also have a water pond that I made out of one of those large round pools that are used to water cattle. With the weather so nice this past weekend the dogs and I really enjoyed just wandering through the garden to see how things were coming up. :)

Fulton, MO

I live in Fulton, MO, only about 1/2 hr from Tetleytuna and Artemiss. I hang out at greenhouse forum more than anyplace else, but maybe I'll be spending more time here. Here we have 12 acres, mostly yard, with greenhouse and way too many garden beds. Do you all know about DG Diaries? Kinda fun. Here is a link to mine: http://davesgarden.com/journal/d/m/stressbaby/

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I am in Mill Creek cove on the Gravois arm of Lake of the Ozarks. I am a Hosta, Heuchera and rare plant person.

Claremore, OK

I live on five acres on the outskirts of Claremore, OK. I'm about 30 minutes from Tulsa. About half our property is woods.

We do a raised bed vegetable garden. I currently have asparagus and strawberries. I'm trying to grow an oriental bean called asparagus bean; I like to try something new every year. I have grown saffron and collected the threads. We grow the usual tomato, squash, peppers, etc.

I'm interested in various areas and fields related to gardening.
I'm going to try growing gourds on a dead tree this year. I like oriental lilies. I like water plants. I currently have a lotus seed that was in a friend's ancient Christmas arrangement and it has sprouted.

I'm looking for ideas on perennials that go together(photos please). I'd like to know more about compost and manures. I have full sun and shade.

Ideas for elementary aged kids gardening projects is something I'd like to swap.

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Fulton, MO

Darlindeb: Russian sage, Globe Thistle, Karl Forester Feather Reed grass, Purple coneflowers. Full sun, bulletproof.

Watcha got in your pic there? Nice looking!

This message was edited Apr 17, 2006 10:43 PM

Thumbnail by stressbaby
Kirksville, MO(Zone 5a)

Darlindeb,

Here is a photo of part of a bed I put in a couple of years ago that turned out pretty nice. It's in full sun facing West. It has coneflowers (purple, tennesse, and gray-headed), tamarix, baptisia, nasturtiums, globe thistle, coreopsis, black-eyed susans, several butterfly bushes, liatris (white and purple), ornamental grasses, wormwood, mexican catchfly, borage, evening primrose, loosestrife (not an aggressive one), hibiscus, spirea, broom, sea holly, blue sage, cornflowers, etc.

Thumbnail by NellieLemon
Kirksville, MO(Zone 5a)

This was an accidental combination that turned out kinda pretty too ... silver lace vine and a clematis.

Thumbnail by NellieLemon
Kirksville, MO(Zone 5a)

Oh yeah, I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Audrey. I live in Kirksville, Missouri (the northeast corner) where it is very flat and windy. The temperatures range from 110 in the summer to minus 20 in the winter and we almost always have a drought in August. It's not the easiest place to grow pretty things. I moved from Jefferson City which is two hours south of here and it always amazes me the weather difference. Kirksville is listed as zone 5a but the plants act like it's zone 4 and in Jefferson City you can keep many zone 6 plants alive through the winters.

I have three border collies and two cats. I feed all the strays and try to take care of everything around us as much as I can by picking up other people's trash, healing wild animals, planting wildflowers everywhere to try and re-establish native plants.

We are planning on building on thirteen acres very near our current house and so will be transplanting many, many, many things over the next couple of years so we can leave this house with basically just a lawn to take care of as it will be used as a rental property.

I love all gardening but am particularly fond of wildflowers and herbs.

And, apparently, I ramble when I introduce myself to strangers ...

Thumbnail by NellieLemon
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Beautiful gardens and sweet dogs!

I'm from Lincoln NE and live on a fairly small lot that is all plants and paths. It took me about 8 years to get rid of all the lawn, but I've never regreted it. I'm single, work as a mental heath nurse, have 3 cats and a dog. I work the night shift, so you may see me posting at some strange hours. I have over 100 cultivers of daylilies, lots of lilies, Iris and other perennials. Always put out a few annual, but not room for many anymore.
I'm 57 and plant to keep on gardening as long as I can crawl around. Nothing makes me happier than playing in the dirt!

Susan

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

leaflady and family live on a family heirloom farm settled by my hubby's family a coupe or so years after the Civil War. A large southern home was already there but abandoned by the southern belle when she say how desolate the area was. She didn't think much of her dear one's choice of location. LOL. That house was torn down in '49 and a new ranch style built with as much of the old lumber as possible.

Jack and I live in the ranch house & our son Kyle & his wife Holly and their 2 1/2 yr. old son Skyler live about a block away across the pasture. We love having them so close. Jack and I are both retired/disabled so what we can do is limited. Kyle is our next to youngest child and was the last one to get married.

Our yard is nearly an acre and so is theirs.if you count the area between them that must be kept mowed. She is fairly new to flowers and all plants growing but seems to have a very green thumb. I've only been raising flowers-other than marigolds-for about 12 years. We have lots of daylilies, iris, daffodills, some wild flowers, several shrubs, and the usual assortment of odds and ends. Our veggies are mostly in raised beds framed with concrete blocks. We built those about 10 years ago and wished we had done it decades before.

I'm going to take this opportunity to invite all MO,KS, OK, AR, IO, IL, etc. members/subscribers to the MO RoundUp on May 27th at Liberty Park in Sedalia, MO. We will be having pot luck lunch(there is even the good possiblilty of a breakfast too), plant swap/giveaway, door prizes, and lots of good fellowship. Bring plenty of film or SIM cards to cature the memories. Only subscribers can get into the RoundUp forum so members will have to contact me or other subscribers for details.

I am so eagerly looking forward to 'meeting' each and all of you.

GOD bless and keep each and all of you.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

live in Tulsa.. have 5 grandchildren keep on week ends & no school. have total 6. 3 great grandchildren. Love flowers ,plants. 1st. brugs. iris, then daylillies . actually all flowers. my husbamnd when was here always brought in strays or cast offs.. have 2 dogs now one old had such puppy about 16 now blind . other is moses a real pain. never know about him. one kitty is expecting callico..think thats it. been in okla. for 41 yrs. from MInnesota.

Claremore, OK

Thanks stressbaby and NellieLemon for all the ideas. The picture has a white daisy I think it is Becky. I like this daisy because it doesn't get large and fall over. Oriental lilies in the back are Stargazer and Casa
Blanca. To the left you might see a little bee balm leaves. To right is a tiger lily (not blooming) I think I want to relocate the tiger lily.

I've noticed with the oriental lilies it usually takes about 3 years for them to really get tall. I've planted some Orienpet lilies this year. They are a cross between oriental lilies and trumpet lilies.

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

I am in Marshfield, MO about 30 miles NE of Springfield. We just moved here in January, had lived in SE Louisiana and Katrina ran us out, so I am excited about being here. I will be able to grow stuff here that I couldn't even dream about growing in the Gulf South.

We are building a house, so I won't have a place to garden until this fall, but I am eagerly anticipating it.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi! My name is Pam. My husband and I live in St. Louis County, MO. We have 3 dogs, 2 cats, some fish(both Aquarium and Pond-Goldfish) and a small parrot- Severe Macaw.

Our backyard is mostly shade with a fenced area for the "big dogs" and the rest of it is flower beds and walk ways - I love flowers/plants of ALL Kinds - Anything I can maybe get to grow - I'll try to grow. Most of my knowledge comes from mistakes..

I have about 20 orchids (most recent obsession). I'm fairly new to DG and really enjoy everyone's questions, comments and especially their help. - There's tons of great information, experience and knowledge!

Kingsville, MO(Zone 5b)

I live about halfway between 50 and Kingsville; have 9 acres, with about 2 acres mowed. My veggie garden is about 30 feet square, and I'm working on getting flowerbeds around the house... adding east side and the back this year. I've lived in MO since 2000, when I remarried. My DH is from Brookfield, and has lived in KC area all his adult life. Between us we have 6 kids, but none together; and 5 grandkids, one on the way. We have 2 of them with us most every Saturday night. The 2 year old is quite a character. She likes going out to the garden with me, but doesn't know the different yet between a green tomato and a red one.... maybe this summer. I wrote a bunch of stuff on one of the first threads, so I'll try not to repeat myself too much.

Maybe we can come to the Roundup in Sedalia. We always go to Brookfield Memorial Day weekend, so Sedalia could be sort of on the way. I'll tell my DH about it.

I'd like to put pictures on here, but so far I don't have much worth taking a picture of. My DH has a digital camera, and is a computer guru, so maybe I can get him to help me get some pics on here. Irises are blooming this week. I grew up in NY state (near Lake Ontario), so I'm used to seeing irises bloom around Memorial Day instead of Easter!
Helen

Pamget---- you have a nice place to shop up there in the way of Sugar Creek and also out in Defiance at Wine country Gardens. I am heading to I might be to both Friday ,but
Wine Country for sure. My son lives in St Charles and I am taking in a load of fresh Crappie fillets for a party of 20 people they are having. I lived in St charles myself off Ofallon Rd. Very near 40 and Weldon Springs.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

I am apparently in the same age group as hope43. My only child ( a son ) and I were both slow in starting our famllies. I should be a great grandmother, but only have 3 grade school age granddaughters. My DH and I are both rather unable to do a lot. I am in charge of all the yard work, as well as the housework. I have had to slow down considerably, and do more container plantings, than in the ground. Besides the deer took over my vegetable garden a few years back, and I gave up on growing food for them! :-(
We bought this acreage 1n 1977, but didn't get our house built until 1984. My DH built it from the ground up. That was his occupation... building and all other types of carpentry.

We have 20 wooded acres. We have cleared one acre that I have planted to hundreds of things, from huge trees, to tiny bulbs. I have incorporated a lot of the native plants into our garden beds.
We are deep in the middle of the Ozark Mountains.

Marian

Hi Everyone,
I live in St. Louis county. Started my flower gardening mid summer last year and everything that I planted is now springing to life. Just love it. I have 4 dogs (2 Bichons, 1 old German Shepard and a teacup poodle) and an African Grey Parrot. We have a "normal size" yard right now. About a year ago we bought 3 acres on a 7 acre lake and will build there within 5 years. It's a lot of fun to go visit it and dream. I've already planted lots of daffodils on the site. LOL.

Pamget and Ozarkian - you both sound like you life really close to me. A couple of Daves Garden's members and I are meeting at the MO Botanical Gardens on May 3rd. Would you like to come? Would be great to meet you. Anyone else?

Crystal

Not sure about that Crystal. I am not that close anymore. It is 200 miles one way from my home on the west side of Lake of the Ozarks to St louis county. Also May 3 is three days before the a local Garden club plant sale. I have over 50 hosta I am going to donate and I will be pretty busy with that. Plus we are on a Garden tour this year in June and there never seems to be enough time to prepair. Have you went over to Sugar Creek yet are out to Defiance to Wine Country Gardens. I will be going to both Friday when I go up for the day.

Yeah I know where you live you mentioned it to me one time. When I moved to that area. the intersection of Dorrestt and Mckelvey was one lane each direction and there was no stop sign. Where the Schnucks and all that shopping center is now use to be a pasture where they grazed Black Angus. Old huh

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone! I live in a teeny tiny town in SE Nebraska where me and DH have a new house with NOTHING to start us out in the way of a garden, not even trees. We put in some trees last spring, some bulbs last fall, and I'm getting going pretty good this spring now.

I haven't gardened in several years while the kids were growing up. Now my "baby" is going to graduate from high school, and I'm anxious to get back at it with the new house and all. It's funny that I've forgotten some common things and vividly remember other things about gardening. Mostly I recall what didn't work, but can't recall why.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Marianinark.. I'm old - probably oldest here. i keep the twins 4 1/2 on tuesday's and week ends all 5. they are 12, 9, 8, twins 4 1/2 her oldest is 24 gone and married. He has 3 children.... all are my daughters children.. She is wait sec. she will be 42 in June...so now you probably can figure how old I'am... lol....

Well hope do not bet on that being the oldest. I know a lot of people on the internet incorporate vthere year of birth into the nic. So if 43 is what I think it is you are not the oldest guaranteed.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Crystalnurse, one of our doctor's employees has a young Bichon. I think she said it was 2 months old at the time we first saw it ( about 3 weeks ago). She took it to work with her so it wouldn't be lonely. It mingled with the patients, and was so cute. When we went back last week it wasn't there. She said she got another dog for it's campanion/baby-sitter. :-) I missed it. :-(

hope43, I think I may be older than you. I am 73, will be 74 in November. My son is 48, his daughters are 12, 11, and 9.
I kind of wish we had got started earlier. I'd like to have great grandchildren... but with my oldest GD only 12, I probably won't get to see that, or else I will be so 'far gone' I won't be able to enjoy them. :-(
I don't think I would be up to taking care of 5 children for more than a few hours! Bless you.

Marian

Marian,
I got another Bichon to keep my first company. They are so cute together. Their names are Romeo and Juliet. They are totally in love and insperable. If you take one outside - the other will bark their head off. They even sleep cuddled up. My poor little teacup poodle is so left out - they won't let him sleep with them. So, he gets to sleep in my bed. If I roll on him - he growls at me - it's so funny. This little "ggrrrrrr".

Crystal

Ozarkian
You sure have a busy time ahead of you. Sound like a lot of fun, though.

I can't even imagine Dorsett and McKelvey without a stop light. 3 lanes in each direction now, including the turn lane. When we moved here 18 yrs ago, Olive had cows also. Now it is all business and tall buildings. Faith hospital is now owned by Barnes - plus, it keeps expanding. Guess, you heard the Ganster story about the hospital. Seems, that is where the Chicago people used to be treated (or hidden) in that day and age.

Crystal

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Ozarkian, I've been to Sugarcreek, but not WineCountry in Defiance. - I'll have to check it out. - I go to Ahner's on Manchester and Sunset Nursery on Gravois. Last weekend at Sunset I found a really nice Oak Leaf Hydrandea..I've been wanting one for a year now and finally was at the right place at the right time. There are several places on Creve Coeur Mill Road, but I can't remember the names of them.. We have LOTS of Hostas- Since we have so much shade, they're becoming my favorite-- so many different kinds!!

Crystalnurse- The Botanical Gardens would be great fun-- but I have to work that day-- It sounds like we have a lot in common-- Lots of pets! Our "dog family members" are a German Shepherd/Australian Shepherd Mix, A Yellow Lab/Akita Mix and a very spoiled Yorkshire Terrier. My husband and I both like to garden-- It's our stress relief. I'd love to meet up with you some time-- but right now life is pretty busy-- All work and NOT enough time to play. Thanks for the invitation- I'll take a "rain check". - What local nurseries have you visited? -- Any favorites.

Pamget----There also a couple of places in St Charles. Best one is on Mexico Rd called Farmers Market I think. A good place to buy Heuchera( another one of our affictions) we have 27 different species right now. My favorite nursery up there is Wine Country Gardens. I have a lot of Hosta as well. Have 81 species currently in the ground and all the hosta of the year with the 2007 hosta of the year Paradigm on the way. Altogether 131 hosta plants not counting the 52 that are divisions for a club charity sale. We have a little dog that is a mix and a small cat that is very much a family cat. She minics the dogs ways to a point. After all she is a cat. You should come over into the Hosta Forum. Some real nuts hosta nuts over there. Lots and lots of people with much knowlege of hosta.
Ever seen a $400.00 buck hosta. There is a picture of one over there on a thread My Aminee Teachie are something like that. I keep telling her it is ugly and looks like some weed. They are pretty close group over there.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2006 7:33 AM

Locust Grove, OK(Zone 7a)

I'm Shaun from Locust Grove, OK. I just moved here last fall (well, I grew up here but just moved back) and am starting all my landscaping and gardening from scratch. My website shows this: freewebs.com/okieyard. I just discovered Dave's Garden, and I look forward to seeing what all is on here. Glad for this forum....I love exchanging ideas.

Thumbnail by okieyard
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Ozarkian, I use to go to forums like Hosta, Tomatoes, etc. but then it seemed become a gathering of experts and people with plenty of money to spend so I feel very out of place. That seems to happen so often with specialties. Now I rarely go to specialty forums except to look for advice. We really aren't that specialized in our interests either. We like most perennials and many annuals. Especially the ones that reseed themselves. Sometimes when I do web searches for information about something I find myself being sent to a Dave's Garden forum/thread.

I have a lot of yard cleanup to finish. All the smaller limbs, which really aren't that small, need to be dragged off. There isn't enough room to get the big tractor in to load them onto a bucket or even push them ahead of it to the burning pile. I may have to do more cutting up wiht the loppers to be able to handle them. I did get some plant trash burned last night so we can now mow 2 more small areas.

Our DIL Holly is going to mow the lawn for me this time. It is already too tall and I don't see me getting it done before this time next week. By then the mower will have trouble cutting it and lots of weeds will have gone to seed.

Must go get someting done before heading to Jack's doctor appointment. GOD bless and keep all of you.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Leaflady, I agree with you on the specialty forums, "experts" and "plenty of money". I like what I like, and it certainly doesn't have to be something"new" (!) , and definitely not something expensive.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

welcome okieyard... OZARKIAN lol lol did you say i was 43 or meant to say 63 i'm 62 .. they only have me i keep them right.. it is hard not no picnic.. glad everyone is coming in to post to.. have great day, week end.. Twyla

This message was edited Apr 20, 2006 12:17 PM

Claremore, OK

Welcome okieyard. Let me know if you need a small Asparagus fern.
I'm trying to cut down on what I have to take inside for the winter.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone! My name is Susan and I am a plant addict. LOL

We live about 10 miles south of Bartlesville and have five acres with a small pond.

I have 9 kittys (bet you couldn't have guessed) and 3 dogs too. They are my children now that my other two are grown and gone. I have an almost 10 granddaughter and will be driving to Indiana May 1 for her birthday. I go every year.

I am into hostas, heuchera, tiarella, clematis, iris, daylilies, all kinds of annuals and other perennials too. Did I mention I am a plant addict?

I am the treasurer for our local SPCA and spend a lot of time with that.

I am a cross stitcher, and quilter. Was doing a lot of that before I had my shoulder surgery in January. Now I am trying to recover from that. Doing good though, just have to work at it. Wouldn't have time right now anyway for those, I just want to stay outside and mess with the plants.

Love the birds, the hummingbirds are back and they really make my life complete. Love those little birds, and the wrens even though they tear up my hanging baskets for their nests. Gotta love 'em....

Glad we have a forum of our own and I am enjoying meeting everyone.

Susan
=^..^=

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Susan, how nice that you can drive that far to your granddaughter's birthday.
I love all the plants that you named, but am also a "plant addict". :-)
I sure hope your shoulder heals up okay. I have had a painful right shoulder for at least 6 years. I'm not sure what started it. I am right handed, but had to learn to use my mouse with my left hand, because it hurts my shoulder too much to hold my arm in that position very long.
I love the wrens and hummers too. Our first male Ruby Throat arrived on the 8th, and I saw a female today. Soon the courting will begin. :-)
We have a pair of Brown Thrashers nesting nearby.

Marian

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Ozarkian - I put in a few heuchera last year(6), a couple of them didn't come back this year. I'm not sure what kind I had but they had beautiful burgundy leaves.. I'll have to check out the Farmers Market in St. Charles. I may also need some advice on the Heuchera-- It looks like something may have dug around the roots of a couple of them and caused some damage..
I'll be sure to jump over to the Hosta Forum and take a look at that $400 plant - You have LOTSA HOSTAS... We have quite a few, but many of them are pretty small.

Susan, I guess it's time for me to put out my hummingbird feeders. I haven't seen any yet this year, but I'm sure they're on their way here. They are so fascinating. We have several bird feeders, plus 3 hummingbird feeders- They are amazing and very BRAVE-- When we come out on our deck, they swoop at our heads and try to get us to leave! I have two kitties-- Sasha and Whitney.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Crystal, I can't even imagine "cows on Olive" ... We live just a few miles off of Olive in St. Louis County/Creve Coeur area.. We've been there for about 8 years now and really like the location. It's sooo convenient.

Susan, I have all the plants you named-- Except the tiarella? -- Not to sound dumb... but what is it? Does it do well in shade?

Marian- Have you been to see a doc about that shoulder?.. 6 years is too long for something to hurt-- Might be a fixable thing.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Pam, I may have damaged the rotor cuff. I haven't been to a bone doctor. My chiropractor helped it a little, but I haven't been to him in ages. I also have Fibromyalgia and arthritis so that may be part of it. I keep telling my friends that I am defective merchandize and need to be returned to the factory. ( Just joking ) :-)
I've lived with physical pain most of my life, so it has become second nature. Some of it is just a bit harder to take. :-(

This message was edited Apr 20, 2006 4:43 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.