Ok, How did I mess this up?

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

So far this year I have built 2 raised beds (4 X 16 ft ea.) and started a ton of seeds - Maters, Peppers, Cauiflower & Broccoli - so far.

I have had excellent germination with everything except the Broccoli so muct so I am giveing away mater and pepper plants I don't have room for.

The question is - what did I do wrong w/the Broccoli seeds too have such a poor showing.

Any help would be greatly appreiceated (sp?).

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I assume it is a seed problem. My broccoli came up well........even older seed.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I bought all the seed from lowes and k-mart this year.

Could I have overwatered?

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

If cauliflower came up ok, broccoli should too. I only watered at sowing time and they were up before they needed watering again. I had the heat at 88° and they popped up...4 varieties.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Agree with Indy, That cauliflower and Broccoli are very easy to sprout. Don't know about that 88 degrees tho Indy. I like to sprout and grow mine at cool temps.( I start them outside in a cold frame the first of February) The only time I have trouble is in July when starting plants for the fall/winter crop. If you did not do anything different between the broccoli and cauliflower, I would have to second Indy on bad seeds. Check the date on the packet, someone along the line could have stuck an old packet in the mix.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks guys - I'm gonna just buy more seed and try again. seed is fairly inexpensive and I really want Broccoli this year - again thank you.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Dyson, You may want to try for fall broccoli. Bedford county gets a bit warm for summer broccoli. Start a short season cultivar for transplant around August 1 -15. Your county agent may be be of help, When I left Virginia, broccoli was being tried as a niche crop for the ex tobacco farmers in Franklin and Henry counties.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Good tip - I'm gonna try and get what little I had sprout to go and try to get more seed for the fall. - Thanks!

I've still got to get squash, etc started.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.