Fish tank water??

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I'm not really sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes:

We are cleaning our fish tank today (it's been almost a year since we have cleaned it. YIKES!) and I am wondering if it is ok to dump the water in my flowerbeds? I know there are products out there that include fish in them, but what about the tank water?

Thanks for any info you can provide! :o)

Mendy

I posted this in Garden Talk too cuz I don't where to post it! ;o)

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes! yes, yes, yes, yes!

Thanks, Tracyrae. We went ahead and put it in the flowerbeds. With all the rain we get I'm sure it will be dilluted quite fast. :o)

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

It's good stuff. There are even sustainable systems that use water from ponds where talapia are raised with great success.

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9b)

I've been using aquarium water for years--when I can bring myself to clean the tank--to water my houseplants and garden plants. So long as you are not using any odd chemicals on your fish, your plants will appreciate whatever debris, sludge, or carcasses you siphon out. And your fish will be happier for it, too.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

The mulm in the bottom of garden ponds is wonderful stuff for the gardens too. My Mom's roses adore it :~) I have a bottom drain that drains over the hill and I've been trying to figure out how to catch to water and divert it to my plants LOL, never satisfied!
Lana

Well, my daylilies are going gang busters, so they must have liked it! LOL I'm glad he poured it on them.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I just found this thread but I thought I'd let you know that i"ve been watering the plants with pond water for years and they love it. Motivates me to work on the pond too because the water level goes down if I water a lot!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a fish tank at my office, and instead of dumping the water into the toilet, I poured some into my secretary's potted plant. It had never bloomed before, and it bloomed the very next day. Good stuff.

Wow, I guess so! I need to have my DH clean our tank again so I will have some food for my plants again. ;o)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.