Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Dappled Pony Mini TB Iris

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Jesse's Song TB

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

June Marie TB

A local iris hybridizer here in Searcy, James Faith, this one is named after his wife.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2006 8:05 PM

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Merit Mini TB

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Sanfransisco TB

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Im watching like a hawk, I have lots of others on the verge of opening, will post them here on this thread when they open.

kathy

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

your MTB iris are looking good
I love the miniture tall beared iris for cut flower you can put them on a table and see over them .
They were nicked named table iris for this reason
Here a MTB I like Rosemarys Dream

Thumbnail by tazzy
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Very nice Kathy
I'm going to have to look into getting Merit
:)
A

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I like that rosemary's dream Tazzy, I just love those little iris's

kathy

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

Maybe you guys can help me. I have a couple of plants blooming now that I thought were Japanese iris, but have been told that the JIs get much taller than what mine are. How tall do your dwarf iris get? I'm wondering if that's what I have instead. I don't have a very good picture, because I can't bend over far enough to get a good close-up.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

your iris is pretty, but I haven't a clue which one it is. Sorry.

The dwarves are diff sizes. depending on if their mini TB, standard dwarf , Boarder bearded.

This is a Standard bearded Dwarf called wild sharon,

Seems All the purple ones are blooming first.

I hope I get some other colors soon.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Tb Iris Superstition

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

IB Iris All in a Buzz

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

TB Iris Snowshoes

Gosh I didn't realize how much purple was in the yard. I see a few others in bud that don't look purple LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Gardengram, yours is definitely NOT a Japanese iris. Yours is a Bearded Iris. See the beard? The little fuzzy thing streaking down the center of the falls (lower petals)? Japanese irises don't have beards.

I can't really tell from your picture, but I think you may have an old, but loved iris called Pallida. Is this it:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/102000/index.html

It may smell a bit fragrant, almost like grape koolaid.

1garden
that is not a Japenese Iris ?
Your iris looks like species or very historic .SDB , Ji need lot of water have no beard and have a flat bloom
Maybe your Jap . died and this was close to it
and took over its place .

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Kathy Ann,

Just for your records, Wild Sharon is a TB, not an SDB. Also, your pic of Superstition is incorrectly identified. Superstition is registered as a "Ebony-hued self; blue-black beard".

I'm afraid that Snow Shoes isn't correct, either:

SNOW SHOES

(Manley Osborne by Maryott's Gardens, R. 1995). Sdlg. 891. TB 31" (79 cm) M.
"S. white, blue (RHS 91B) center glow; style arms blue white, light blue lip; F. white, white petaloid at end of wide blue white beard; slight sweet fragrance

Laurie

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Hum, I was wondering about snowshoes, I thought it was suppose to be a light color, I bought that from the iris hybridizer here in Searcy, go figure.

Superstition comes in a vary of colors according to the soil isn't that so? I've seen it black to the color ofmine, here are a few pictures I found on the net. The beard does seem to be the wrong color for superstition though.

http://images.google.com/images?q=superstition+iris&hl=en

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://davesgarden.com/pics/jandjself_1082604117_630.jpg&imgrefurl=http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/39825/&h=600&w=677&sz=61&tbnid=GZ6dW5-OqSixYM:&tbnh=121&tbnw=137&hl=en&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsuperstition%2Biris%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

Hope that second link works.

The snowshoes I'll have to check on with James Faith.

And wild sharon, I bought off the internet from iris4you I think. was sold to me as SDB and it is a very short iris in my yard no taller than 8 inches or so

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the help with those iris's Laura, I'm off to take those darned ol tags off them LOL

I'll calle them pretty unnamed ones I guess.

I'm gonna hang onto that wild sharon and contact the company I bought it from to find out what's what with it.

I'll have a few more pretty soon, that I think maybe misnamed, I'm gonna post them here too, so maybe you could check back , I have a snow spoon I bought off the hybridizer in searcy too, . it's about to open any day too

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

that second link didn't work, but I found it on the Plant data base here on daves. I"ll see if I can find it again

kathy

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Kathy Ann,

Cameras do often display very dark irises like Superstition a whole lot lighter-hued than they are in real life, but the beard color on yours is the giveaway that yours is definitely misidentified. Your is a nice, pretty red, though.

Here's Wild Sharon's registration data:

WILD SHARON

(George Sutton, R. 1994). Sdlg. 84-14. TB 36" (91 cm) EM.
"S. white; F. blue white with variable white striping; beards blue violet; ruffled

If you were sold an SDB under that name, the person who sold it to you owes you a refund.

Here's the registration data for Snow Spoon so you can compare it with yours when it blooms:

SNOW SPOON

(Ben Hager, R. 1982). Sdlg. SP3453Wh. TB 38" (97 cm) M.
"White; yellow beard, white spoons.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

See that one above I called superstition, well darn it LOL here's another one just like it, I got it from the lady here in searcy that buys all her iris's from Schreiners but doesn't put tags on them, this one was left unnamed. It looks just like the one above

What do you think?

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

YOu know, I might have confused the superstition one with Sultans palace, I bought both of these from her. And I took a picture of her two iris's the superstition and the sultan's palace. my one I called superstition looks like her sultans palace, tell me what you guys think.

These next two pictures are not mine, their iris's from the lady I bought from here in searcy last year, and she had them named as

This is Sultans palace

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

that looks like Sultons Palace to me
Superstition is from the purple black color type
both of yours are from the red side.
the last one reminds me of a older
Keith Keppel iris ,
but i can't remember its name any more

This message was edited Apr 19, 2006 10:23 AM

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

This is her superstition, so Somewhere in my garden I know I have the real superstition LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

And Lookie here, this one is snowshoes LOL taken last year, so somewhere inmy garden I know I have the real snowshoes too LOL

I swear, Ican't organize a thing. My life is upside down these days.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

And what's wrong with my jewel baby? it's not the color it's suppose to be is it?

have I got this mislabeled too. I'll get this all figured out sooner or later

jewel baby dwarf iris

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

here's clarence TB

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Nope, that's not Jewel Baby, but at least Clarence looks right. ;-)

Laurie

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Kathy looks more like Cherry Garden

This is Cherry Garden just as it opened before it gets the dog ear falls

Thumbnail by avmoran
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I think the beards on my jewel baby are a diff color than your cherry garden.

I don't remember whre I got the jewel baby from.
kathy

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

kathy- I think I sent the Jewel Baby to you. That is what it was sold to me as. So I guess neither one of us has Jewel Baby! I will have to take a pic when it blooms for me this year.

deb

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

kathy- I think I sent the Jewel Baby to you. That is what it was sold to me as. So I guess neither one of us has Jewel Baby! I will have to take a pic when it blooms for me this year.

Gosh, even buying from reputable nurseries, the names are sometimes wrong!

deb

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

You gals can see pics of the real Jewel Baby in the PlantFiles here:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/33619/index.html

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I've had that iris for going on it's 3rd year. I am almost positive it bloomed the dark purple the first year and then last year it was the dark red. But I could be wrong too! I bought it for Jewel Baby so I may have to get another this year!

Deb

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

No worries Deb, You can see by the post above, that I bought from somewhere too and got the wrong one LOL, I didn't buy that iris from iris4 you though I got it somewhere else. I bought it as the MDB wild sharon, and it's really a TB , but it's not a big deal. I can't for the life ofme remember where I got half of my irises from anyways. Alot came from a little old lady here in Searcy, remember? I think I sent you a few of hers too, you may be able to put names on them when I post them here,

I'm headed out of town tomorrow, and my DD promised to take pictures of the iris's that I've tied ribbons around LOL. Hope she does a good job of watering the pots for me too.

kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.