After 5 long years...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

I believe we finally will have flowers on this Chinese Wisteria 'Alba'. I can't wait !!

Dea

Thumbnail by Dea
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

YEAH! Hope you will beautiful fragrant flowers!

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Ha! I have ONE bloom this year (3rd year in ground I think) and a bug is eating it! :( Oh well...next year I guess. Good luck

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Congrats!!
Mine finally bloomed this year, too!

It may just be me, but I really think the white has a much nicer fragrance than the purple...everyone that saw mine in bloom commented on how nice it smelled.

Here is a preview for you:

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

That is spectacular!!! What a gorgeous set of blooms :)

Can't wait !!!!

Dea

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Not the greatest photo, but yes they were definately blooms :)

Dea

Thumbnail by Dea
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Beautiful, Dea! I bet you've been doing the happy dance!!
:) Donna

Congratulations!!!

Is yours Japanese wisteria?? ...your blooms are much longer than the typical Chinese wisteria...

Also, Chinese twines counter-clockwise, while Japanese twines clockwise.
-T

Chickamauga, GA(Zone 7a)

WOW very pretty! I had no idea wisteria came in other colors till now! Here is a pic of what mine did this year....I wish they lasted longer .

Thumbnail by Gardening_in_GA
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous and I bet the fragrance most be intoxicating!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

They smell just wonderful! Yes, I am wondering now about the identification...I posted a pic in PF and may ask it be moved. Time to do some research !

Dea

Chickamauga, GA(Zone 7a)

I found mine to be very similar to Lilac (from what I can remember Lilac smelling like as a kid).

I love how they bloom when it is the windy season....when the blooms are done they start blowing all over the place and it looks so whimsical and pretty!

This message was edited Apr 30, 2006 12:39 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Here's the photo in PF that we made the ID from - her's is in tree form but the panicles look similar?

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/41600/

See which way it twines...that will tell you for sure.
-T

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I'm on year 3 with my white Wisteria.Still no flowers.It's on a pergola with Lady Banks Rose.Boy what a fight to see who takes over!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

This evening - and yes, it twines counter-clockwise :) The smell truly is something we never imagined! Now......how do we move this puppy? Any ideas? It must come with us to our new home down the street a bit. Should we wait for fall? Thanks :)

Thumbnail by Dea
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, dear...if I had that gorgeous thing in my yard I wouldn't dare move!

Wow, those are very long racemes for Chinese wisteria. It is usually the Japanese that are that long.
Gorgeous!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Dea...it was worth the wait...I have had THIS one for 24 years and it bloomed after ten years and then about every third or fourth year...doesn't get full sun so maybe that is why...At any rate when it does decide to bloom (and nothing like yours) it is very exciting.

Thumbnail by levilyla
Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

That is so pretty overhead on your arbor - Wow :)

Dea

Mc Call Creek, MS

Dea , I've never seen such long panicles on wisteria before. That is just awesome!

Kay

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.