todays pic

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Carnies are growing like crazy.

Thumbnail by rylaff

Oh oh oh! I have zone lust. I am weeks away from any substantial growth! More photos please!

I, too, have zone lust. But I always do when i see photos from florida.

Portugal Cove-St. Ph, NL(Zone 5a)

Sarracenia rubra ssp Jonesii ????

Lovely pic. We still have some snow..... to go. Buckets of rain...... blowing fog and drizzle....... with minor flooding. Ice on lakes..... is letting go. We had our 3 days of sunshine during Holy Week, and it was much appreciated. Back to R D F....

Hurrah! My Sarracenia leucophylla from seed from Elsanore Alabama USA has begun germination!

Bill in SE Nfld zone 5a - Up to my neck in various seedlings right now!

Sherwood, MI(Zone 5b)

I am horrible at this, but my guess is S. oreophilla

It's either a flava or an oreo.

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

No idea.. but I have the same one growing in the swamp

Wauconda, IL

I'd bet my bottom dolla that it's an Oreo. It's early..and oreo's are early.

I was thinking the same thing originally until I realized she's in Florida and everything is growing for them now and has been for a while. I think we need to move. Far far far away from where we live right now.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Come on down!

Actually, I have an aunt who lives around Orlando who is my favorite. She has a sister who lives in Destin and she has a girlfriend who moved to somewhere around Crestview if not Crestview proper. She and I took a nice long drive up to Destin then over to Crestview and we had fun gabbing all the way there and all the way back. I was planning on getting down by her next winter/spring when Dodecatheon goes to visit her Mom and Dad. I hate to drive anywhere that far (I hate to drive period) and Dode hates to fly so we figured we might compromise with her driving and me being passenger. I'd love to save time and get her butt on a plane but I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. Anyway, in addition to touching base with my aunt, I wanted to meet MzMunchken. Do you live anywhere near her or my aunt's girlfriend?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I am across the bridge from Destin so I am between MzMunchken and Destin. about 4 miles to Destin and 15 miles to Crestview.

Morgan Hill, CA(Zone 10a)

Here's how you can tell what species you have. If during the winter the plant sends up phyllodia (non carnivorous leaves) that are shaped like curly little question marks then you have an oreophila. If the phyllodia are taller, flatter and more jack-knife shaped then you have a flava. My guess is you have a flava.

Sherwood, MI(Zone 5b)

The reason why I guess oreo was because it seemed early to come up and because of the lack of coloration. I have never seen a flava so green, if it is indeed a flava you have a very nice form.

oreo will go dormant a few months earlier than flava and phil described exactly what i've seen my oreaos doing. they create tight little curlie cues to be able to overwinter. they are the only sarracenia that do this so come fall you can always tell what you have. flava all seem to come out the gate green with some veins unless they are heterophylla and they color up over the summer quite nicely. many sarracenia are like chameleons ever changing over the course of their growing period.

Quoting:
I am across the bridge from Destin so I am between MzMunchken and Destin. about 4 miles to Destin and 15 miles to Crestview.
i see a road trip in my crystal ball.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.