Any west Michiganders here...

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

besides me and sarv?
Seems like most of you are from the east and south parts of the state.

Hillsdale, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm about 2 hours from you I think I'm south near the indiana, ohio borders. I've been to Grand Rapids several times though.
Kim

Hi Kim!
Guess its just you me and sarv. ;-)

Hillsdale, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm in the middle of nowhere here very rural glad to know a couple of you aren't too far away maybe we can visit each others gardens in the future.
Kim

Kim are you more so on the east border then if by Ohio?
Thats quite a-ways from me.
I'm about 2 hours north of the border off of US 131.
Probably 3 hour drive from where you are.
You might be closer to some of the SE members.
(Laughing) my gardens aren't worth a long trip to view.
Relatively new due to re-doing and basically weed infested by August.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi!!!!
There are a lot of us in the southwestern corner, Niles and Edwardsburg, Dowajac and Cassopolis

I thought everyone was from the eastern side of the state too............

Scotts, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm here just bit south of Kalamazoo, and Fancee1945 is just a block away from me.

Toni

Hi Toni & Annabelle! :)

Grand Rapids, MI

HELLO, I LIVE IN GRAND RAPIDS. gardenman51

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Hello everyone...Im from Muskegon so Im about 35-40 miles from GR....Judy

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

I just joined and I live in West Michigan, about 10 miles from the lake.

Hey we're getting more west siders! :))
PJ I love Grand Haven!
Spent many a fine summer day at the state park...especially when i was a a teeny-bopper. ;-)
My hubby and I like to eat at The Kirby Grill too.
(I think they changed the name)

Scotts, MI(Zone 5b)

Yeppers, I am from Kalamazoo or close by.

Fancee

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Bluektodd you might look at a detailed map. Down where you live there is a microzone 6b near 3 rivers. My sister-in-law claims that they are zone 6. Just look at the corn all around you. It is planted 2 months earlier than we NW Michiganders. (Evart)

Soferdig...I'm in rural Cedar Springs and so wishing I was in a mircro zone!
Supposidly we have been changed to Z6 but theres NO way!
We get -20 degrees some winters.

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

I live close to Lake Michigan and Muskegon Lake..I am in a micro climate and can grow some things that are zone 7....usually when there is a frost warning it doesnt pertain to me but I still take precautions...Judy

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Ah Cedar Springs. Do they still have the red flannel underwear festival? Yes your too far north for zone 6+.

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

We are in a micro climate, but I don't know that it changes the zone much...maybe from 5a to 5b? Something like that. The only thing that grows for me...that shouldn't... are okra (yum!) and Oregano, which winters here.

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Does anyone in this local area have Costmary (Bible Leaf) that you would consider a trade for, or possibly for postage? Is this the wrong place to post this?

You folks by the big lake are lucky. I know a gal that lives on Old Mission Pennisula (Traverse City) and can grow roses I can't.

Soferdig we sure do still have the Red Flannel Festival. :)
(first weekend in October)
I think that event is around to stay.

PJ sure you can post a request like that here but it might get over looked by alot of folks who may not view this posting.
Is there a trade forum you can post it on or maybe post it on a forum (i.e. perennials, annuals, etc.) related to Costmary. What is Costmary??

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Costmary was an herb they used as bookmarks because the leaf is so large. It is said they used them as Bible bookmarks because when they got sleepy during the sermon they could nibble on the spicy, minty leaf.

Thats interesting and funny.
Is it a rare herb?
You should post about this on the herb forum.

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Not at all hard to grow, in fact invasive. But it sure is hard to find!

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone. I live in Fruitport near the Lakes Mall. That's about 30-35 miles west of Grand Rapids and about 8 miles north of Grand Haven. Is anyone going to the plant swap June 3rd?

This message was edited May 13, 2006 4:05 PM

where is it?

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

notmartha from Bay City is hosting it. I'm going to make a long weekend out of it. I will go to the plant swap and then go to Alpena to visit my parents for a couple of days. Maybe we could get one going on this side of the state. Anyone interested?

Kathy
With gas prices the way they are it would be a good idea to have a swap on this side of the state if you had enough interest.
Personally I don't need anymore plants but I sure would be happy to give some away. ;-)
I'm not going to notmartha's event.
I've just got too many things going on right now plus I still have to drive to the Ann Arbor area this month to Great Lakes Roses to pick up this years order.

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

I'd love to have a plant swap here! We should take a poll to see how many are interested.

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Im all for a plant swap around west Michigan....Im along the lake in Muskegon....Judy

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

I'd like to have a local plant swap too. I know a couple of other people that aren't members that would like to come. Would they be invited too?

I would think anybody would be welcome Kathy.

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Are 4 of us enough? LOL!

Sorry! I just started a new job so I cannot commit to coming. I won't have time to pot much up in advance but I will come if I'm not working (I work weekends too) and will just dig up some stuff prior to coming.

Hillsdale, MI(Zone 5b)

Soferdig
I wish I were a zone warmer but I even loose some things that are marked zone 5 here I'm off an open field with lots of cold winds I did do a survey of ground temp here last year and this spring and found certain areas stayed about 5-10 degrees warmer then others. I think most that are in zone 6 are near the lakes the water seems to warm the land nearby. Home and garden has a new zone map which is a little more detailed and shows the zones pretty good.
Kim

Bloomingdale, MI

I'm in lower SW Michigan. About 25 miles East of South Haven. I haven't posted in a while.

Di

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi ya diane!!! Another west michigander shows up!!

Grand Rapids, MI

hello I am also interested in a west michigan plant swap. gardenman51

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Hey, West Michiganders...uhh... and Michigeese. If you're anywhere within driving distance, come to Grand Haven this weekend to the Feast of the Strawberry Moon.
http://www.tri-citiesmuseum.org/feast.htm
Not really garden related, but I work the feast and it is a blast!

OHHH!!! Whats that all about???
I might try to make it!

LOL @ "Michigeese"

This message was edited Jun 7, 2006 10:04 PM

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

It's an 18th Century Reenactment. Not a Renn fest but an accurate to time period juried reenactment. If you can come, look for a fat lady in a red striped dress and a straw hat. I'll be behind the food booth selling Frofrobridies (meat pasties). It's pretty inexpensive...$3.00 a person and lasts from 9 to 5

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.