Dwarf Iris

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi - I haven't seen alot of info about dwarf iris - they were already here when we moved here and I don't know where to get them. But they are so pretty, and are one of the earliest flowers to bloom here in Iowa. Does anyone have more info? Dax

Thumbnail by dax080
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh dax, I love those! Nice picture!

You can purchase dwarf iris a lot of places. I like to buy mine through Snowpeak Iris and Daylilies. The website is www.snowpeakiris.com. They would be anything marked MDB or SDB. A couple other good places would be Mid-America Garden at www.mid-americagarden.com or Aitken's Salmon Creek Garden at www.flowerfantasy.net. All of those places have good selection.

I've also been doing a co-op hosted by Snowpeak Iris and Daylilies. All of the cultivars offered are only $1.85 each. There are still a lot of dwarfs to choose from. Here's the link to the co-op if you'd like to check it out.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/590430/

Hope I've been of help!

Laura

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks so much, Laura - this info is fantastic - I'm over to the coop right now - and particularly the symbols to distinguish the dwarf varietys. I would have floundered around on that forever - Again, thanks loads! Becki

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Becki, the MDBs (miniature dwarf beardeds) will be up to 8" tall in bloom, and the SDBs (standard dwarf beardeds) will bloom at heights of 8-16". That should help you shop the co-op and find the size irises you're looking for.

If you're looking for MDBs, I think the only ones offered in the co-op that aren't sold out are Sparky and Zipper. There are lots of SDBs still available, though.

Laurie

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5b)

Becki: I'd suggest visiting Wanda's gardens and oohing and aahing over her dwarfs, and she will not doubt share! I have some dwarfs too, but most of them are small clumps. I'll share with you when they are a bigger clump! Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.