I.D. please

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

I have a small piece from this orchid and it already has two blooms on it...and it's only about 4" long. Does anyone know what it is?
Pati

Thumbnail by patischell
Houston, TX(Zone 8b)

I have no idea what that is, but what a cool plant!!!

Freeport, Bahamas(Zone 10a)

That is absolutely spectacular! If they are ever cutting more pieces, please let me know! I have seen ones that gorgeous on a trip through a nursery in Hawaii a few years ago.....wish I had that ability!

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Sooooooooooooo pretty.
Kaleem

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

It's Dendrobium aphylla, aka D. pierardii. And believe me, you could win an award for such a perfect specimen!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Spectacular!! Who grew that plant?
And yes Todd,
D. pierardii / aphyllum

Thank you all for your interest and identification!! This plant is called the "mother plant" in my DIL's family. It lives 6 blocks from my house at my DIL's sister's house and as you can see, lives outside under the eve of the house. Every one in her family has huge plants from cuttings from the mother, and my DIL's father has one even larger....it outgrew it's mother! Apparently they are very hardy. When they give you a piece, they just jerk out a new "stem thingy" put it in some sort of pot and tell you to hang it in the Oak trees. I did, it works, and now I have blooms too!
Pati

PS. When mine starts growing I'll be glad to share. Apparently you can just put them in some sort of heavy envelope and mail them. I'll post when I have some.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2006 10:34 AM

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

What are the growing conditions for these (growing medium, light, temps)?

Oh dear, rockdrky, now you are going to find out how totally ignorant I am about anything "orchid". I do know the "mother plant" hangs from the overhang of the house in the shade. It's temp is whatever it is outside, but I think they throw a cover over it if it's going to be cold enough to frost. I have no idea what it's growing in.

My DIL has her smaller one (one long "thingy blooming, three new short ones) in a log box with mossey stuff in it hanging in an Oak tree.

Mine is the newest baby. It had one 4" thingy with buds. It has what looks like dried roots on it, so I just put dirt in a little pot to hold the root things so it could hang over the side. It must like it because I have two blooms.

I'm, so sorry I don't know the proper names for things, but if you could tell me what to call the long "thingys" with the blooms I would appreciate it.
Pati

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I think they are called canes when talking about dendrobiums. I am more familier with growing paphs, phals, and cattleyas, but I am more than impressed with that photo that you provided!

Thanks rockdrky. Canes sound soooo much better than "thingy" things. LOL They actually do look like cane.....what a concept!

I have one more orchid. It was a gift last year and had beautiful purple blooms. I've seen enough pictures of it to know it isn't a special one, but still lovely. After the blooms died a neighbor said to hang it outside in an Oak tree, which I did, and it now has three stems with blooms. It only came inside once this winter when we had a four hour freeze. I'm beginning to think that orchids are waaay hardier than people think!
Pati

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

This message was edited Apr 19, 2006 4:36 AM

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Pati,

What a pleasure to see a plant so well grown, so easily. I have got to try it. So I will post a note here if I find a supplier. I am over in Tampa and we have some hardcore orchidians around here. Somewhere there has to be a source in Florida. If anyone else finds a supplier please lets us all know.

And I thought this was nice, but, no contest. Your family in laws win....

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Me again,

rickstropica.com New Port Richey, FL, about 25-30 miles from Tampa. Dendrobian aphylla is $25 includes shipping. He is listed in Dave's Garden Watchdog, check first. They have a 50/50 satisfaction rate. I sent an email, came back as undeliverable.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2006 4:21 AM

This message was edited Apr 19, 2006 5:41 AM

Oh my goodness, that's beautiful! What is that glorius purple plant growing next to it?
Pati

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Pati could I go on your mailing list??? :)

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Pati,

That is Rhoeo spathacea hybrid, from a grower in Apopka, bought at a retail nursery on S MacDill here in Tampa. Cost $7+. It should be showing up at a speciality nursery (meaning Mom & Pop) in your area. I have seen it at a couple other places in town. We have some good people, running small operations, here in my neck of the woods. I shop around and look what I found at Homey's this weekend when I was buying some cell packs of 'Wizard Mix' for the front bed....

Dale,
I GOOGLED Rhoeo spathace, which they also called Moses-In-The-Cradle, and found out the "natural" plant is one that was so invasive at my house in Miami it almost ate my side yard! I didn't care for that color purple at all, but if that hybrid is true to color it can certainly come to my house to live!! LOVE those Coleus!

Lilypon....you are always on my mailing list, and you can be first in line for the first cane!
Pati

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Ü Thank you sooooooooooooo very much Pati!!! :')

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Pati,

It maybe a while before we see what it will revert too, if it reseeds itself. It is young and has not flowered yet. This is the usual time of year to see flowers on it.

I have seen another one that has gold and rusty stripes on the surface of the leaf w/the usual purple reverse. Very nice plant. It does not reseed at all. It is in a plant collector/friends yard so I will have to wait until it grows to get a cutting. This one is not fast so it may be a long wait. When ever I am in her yard I feed and water to promote its development.

Let's see if the website is accepting photos today....

Dale,

Apparently Dave is still working on getting the new "King" server up and running. He posted on the Dave Garden Forum that he had over a million pictures to transfer to the new server. When things get crazy I always check his threads there, he's good about keeping us up to date.

I hope you post the picture again, the plant sounds beautiful!
Pati

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

So glad I found this post. I just bought D. pierardii this week from a local grower. I'm excited! My flowers are a bit faded but it's mine!

Thumbnail by boojum

Hmmm. It looks alot whiter. Must be a relative?

Boo,
I think maybe the flowers bloom darker as the plant grows older. My 4" cane baby has really light blooms, while my DIL's 4 cane one has slightly darker ones.
Pati

Oh! Thanks, that explains it! And something to look forward to as well!

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 9a)

OOOH! What a beautiful specimen.

I have got to get one of these. It is just tooo gorgeous.

Thanks for the photo.

Dee

Mt Zion, IL(Zone 5b)

Oh my goodness! That is BEAUTIFUL! Drop dead GORGEOUS!
I found a supplier near Chicago: Oak Hill Gardens. A 6" pot for $18 plus shipping. www.OakHillGardens.com
Betsy

Dearborn Heights, MI(Zone 6a)

patischell, that DEN puts the one I saw, (with an award) at the Palm Sunday Orchid show a few weeks ago!

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Please let me know when you decide to send cuttings...I would love some. Spectacular plant...I'm in awe!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

My Sharona welcome to Dave's
Sidney

Hey, I second Sugar's welcome! You're actually up in her end of the state.

If my plant (and my DIL's) grow and prosper like their mama, I will notify everyone and share. My 1 cane has grown an inch (5" now) and is already setting two more blooms. My DIL has one with 5 canes, one cane is dropping it's blooms and another is getting ready to bloom.

They are really great plants. They both just hang out in an Oak tree,. and if it weren't for the blooms I'd just forget they were there!
Pati

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi! And thanks for the welcome! My father was an orchid fanatic (I say this in the best of ways!) in Bellaire, TX. He built his own greenhouse and had probably a thousand different orchids in it. I loved going in the greenhouse, but that was his "cave" and entrance was by invitation only!! Just joking, but he was particular about who went in and when! I'm just learning the art of raising orchids, almost lost 2 to inferior packing from a distributor. I've learned a lot just reading posts on this site.

Sharon

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

patischell-
I'd love to be added to your long waiting list!

I have Phal. 'white castle' or the very colorful Baldan's Kaleidescope 'Gold Treasure' to trade, if interested.

-T

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Saint Petersburg, FL

JUST STUNNING.

Seedpicker, sorry I'm so late getting back to you and your kind offer. I will be glad to send you a piece when my baby starts multiplying and a trade won't be necessary. I have never grown orchids and this one and one other were gifts. Because of my zone they live and thrive in an Oak tree with no help from me! The mother plant also lives outside and only comes in when a hurricane comes along.
Pati

Pati-
That is very, very sweet of you. I'd still like to offer you SOMEthing, but at least let me send postage, oK?

I've seen how beautifully orchids grow in Florida and Hawaii, and also noticed that they were always grown outside. I've tried to duplicate what you Floridians do, and hang mine in trees, also. They've definitely responded positively.

I think that outdoors helps them sense the seasons better, and also I think just the fresh air and birds chirping helps, too.
:-)

-T

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I would love to learn to grow orchids, I just adore them.. all the photos on this thread are amazing!

Baker, LA(Zone 8b)

Pati,
Is this orchid fragrant? I would love to have a piece too if you have enough to share! It is absolutely gorgeous. Where did your in-laws get the plant from? I'm like everyone else, I have to try tis plant. Does anyone have any idea how well it will do in Louisiana zone 8b?

I saw this on ebay...is this the same plant?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4465250650&ssPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

ColibriGardner, This plant has been in the family for a number of years. I asked the same question but no one could remember. I don't grow orchids, so I really don't know how it would do for you, but it really loves it here!

Seedpicker, it looks like the same flower, but the name is different? Mine is Dendrobium aphylla, aka D. pierardii.

Pati

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.