Anyone Interested in a Foxfire Garden Tour/Presentation

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi All,

While Marie and I were out at Foxfire Gardens today, Linda (the owner) asked if a group of us from DG may be interested in having a garden tour, luncheon in the Tea House and a Powerpoint presentation. I think it's a great idea,,,would be a great time, a great learning experience with the added benefit of excellent hosta shopping..oh, and they have a nice little gift shop also,,,,.LOL. Steve does the Powerpoint presentation and usually charges $1000.00 to $2000.00,,,however he would do it for us for free.

The lunch would be catered in. I don't have any prices yet, but I wouldn't imagine it would be very expensive for a lunch. Now hosta shopping on the other hand,,,is fairly dangerous as they have beautiful hostas displayed Very nicely,,,,LOL Foxfire is located a few miles out of Marshfield, Wisconsin. I would be setting this up through the Marshfield Chamber of Commerce. Linda also told me that because of working with the chamber, a hotel would give a discount also.

The date would be Sat. Aug. 5th. That is the Only Saturday she has left this summer. They do a lot of weddings out there on Saturday's and have bookings into next summer already.

I just wanted to see if there is any interest. If not, I will let her know so she can book something else that Saturday.

If you're interested please let me know.

Thanks,
Kelly

Thumbnail by GardenGeek_WI
Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Kelly, count me in. Ken

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I am interested, but not ready to commit yet.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

How far is this from MInneapolis? What is the presentation regarding?

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

beaker,

I believe it would be about a 3 hour drive for you. I didn't even thisnk to ask what the presentation is about. I just took it for granted that it is about hostas. I will ask Steve or Linda when I talk to them.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I checked it out and it is a little over three hours.

Kelly it would be great to know a little more before I commit to the drive. Like the cost of the lunch and hotel.

Pauline

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

zen,

At this point I just wanted to see what the interest would be. I will get a hold of the lady with the Chamber and talk to her about approx. costs. She is the one that sets these things up. Will post as soon as I know.

Kelly

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Kelly,

Thank you.

Pauline

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

You Bet

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

The Botanical Garden that they have is just amazing even if you aren't into hostas. You can check out their web-site at:

http://005300c.netsolhost.com/pages/1/index.htm

Just walking in there yesterday, even without many of the plants up yet, was just wonderful. The place has this wonderful feeling of peace and rejuvination. Even tho they aren't open for the season yet, they had a photographer show up, and they were kind enough to turned on a couple of the waterfalls for her. Apparently they get photographers and photography students year round.

Kelly.....we await more information.

Marie

Marie

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I e-mailed the lady with the chamber and asked several questions. I will let everyone know when I hear from her.

This is a pic of the Tea House where we would have lunch.

Kelly

Thumbnail by GardenGeek_WI
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Kelly, It looks very inviting.

Eleva, WI(Zone 4a)

I'm interested but can't commit until I know dates and prices. I may also bring a friend or two. I always love to visit new garden havens!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi All,

When I started this thread I didn't know if there would be any interest or not. I told Linda I would see what the interest is and let her know. Since there has been interest expressed already, I have e-mailed Linda with some questions and post when I hear from her.

I am also still waiting to hear from the lady at the Chamber. I'll post as soon as I hear from her also.

The only thing I know for sure is the date would be Sat. August 5.

Kelly

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi All,

Heard from the lady at the Chamber. We can go the economy route or the livin' large route.

Economy:
Lunch $5.28 for a box lunch (Approx.)
Room $49 (Approx.)

Livin' Large:
Lunch $10.55 for a basket lunch (Approx.)
Room $90.00 (Approx)

Also heard from Linda at Foxfire. There will be no charge to us for the use of the Tea House that day. The time would be from 10 a.m. -3 p.m. I Figured this would give everyone a chance to have breakfast. When we get there she will give us a tour on the Philosophical aspect of designing a garden. We can have lunch and then Steve will do the presentation. The presentation will be on the care of hostas. Knowing Steve, it will be a Very indepth and informative presentation. Then it's off to the retail area or wandering around the gardens some more.

Sounds like it would be a wonderful day. There are a couple of other attractions in the area that are open as well if anyone would like to go there afterwards. That would be up to you.

So, the Only charges would be the lunch and hotel. If you are interested and willing to commit, please let me know so I can tell her we will be coming.

Again the date would be Saturday, August 5th from 10:00 until 3:00

Thanks,
Kelly

Edited to add, the hotel costs will depend on how many people we will need rooms for and which hotel we use. The choices are: Super 8, Amerihost Inn, Comfort Inn, Best Western or Holiday Inn

This message was edited Apr 17, 2006 8:52 PM

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi All,

Just bumping this up to see if we have anyone willing to commit. I have the same thing posted in the hosta forum. So far the only people that are already to commit are:
Ken
Kelly
Marie?

Any more?

If not, I'll have to call Linda and tell her we don't have enough interest so she can book that Saturday for someone else. I know it's kinda far off, however I'ld like to get some more interest and commitments

Kelly

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi All,

More info,,,,I received the list of hotels, prices and locations. The closest one to Foxfire (approx. 3 1/2 to 4 miles) with the best rate is:

Super 8 Motel
1651 North Central Ave.
Marshfield, WI
1 (715) 387-2233
1-800-800-8000
Single or Double room is 48.98 Doesn't say if this includes tax.

Lunch
Box $5.55
Individually wrapped sandwiches on whole wheat or white, Ham or Turkey, Swiss, Cheddar or Monterey Jack Cheese, lettuce, tomato, butter and mayo. Bag of chips, fresh fruit, cookie and soda or bottled water.

Basket $10.55
Seafood Chef Salad,
Chef Salad,
Cobb Salad,
Ham & Swiss Sub Sandwich
Turkey and Monterey Jack Cheese Sub Sandwich
Basket includes: cranberry muffin or hard roll, fresh fruit, cheese, bottled water, Sun Chips and a chocolate cow pie.

We can order 2 of each kind of box lunch and/or 2 of each kind of basket lunch. We CAN Not order differently for each individual. We would have to agree on 2 of each.

Again, Foxfire Usually charges for a guided tour and $1000.00 to $2000.00 for the Power Point presentation on the correct care of hostas. WE Would NOT be charged Anything for these.

I Can't think of a Better way to spend Saturday, August 5th from 10 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Any takers?
Kelly

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Kelly,

As I mentioned on the other thread......I'm in! Does Linda have a minimum number of people that she needs to do this? Did she give you a date by which you need to confirm with her?

Come on people........this place is awesome! And......the owners are even awesomer! (That might not be a word, but you get my meaning.)

Marie

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL @ awesomer

I asked Linda in my e-mail to her if there was a minimum or maximum number of participants and she didn't address that question, so I think I'll have to e-mail her again.

We didn't set a confirmation date. I just told her I would see what the interest was and let her know ASAP, so if needed, she could book something else for that Saturday. When I e-mailed her I told her there was enough interest that I needed more particulars and hoped there would be enough people ready to commit.

Kelly

Eleva, WI(Zone 4a)

Hiya Ladies-
I'm in. I have also mentioned this to a couple friends that may be joining.
I will not be staying overnight but will take either of the two lunches. The box lunch will be plenty for me but don't know if you have to order all of the same??
Looking forward to it!
Anna

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I keep forgetting to talk to my husband about this. He has to drive whenever I go someplace that requires over an hours drive. In other words I have to check with the driver before I commit.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Anna,

Great to hear it.

I'll have to contact the lady at the chamber to see what the date would be that I would have to place the order for the lunch. I'm thinking one of salads sounds good,,,LOL

Kelly

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Update.

I misunderstood. For lunch we get one choice off of each page, or 2 choices off of one page.

We can order 2 types of box lunches, OR 2 types of basket lunches, OR 1 type of box lunch and 1 type of basket lunch.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Bumping this to see if there is anymore interest

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

I'm amazed the Wisconsin gals aren't swarming all over this!!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Me too,,,can't figure it out. LOL

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Need the 2x4?

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL,,,guess so

Eleva, WI(Zone 4a)

I'm still planning on it.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Great! So glad to hear it.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi All,

Just talked to Linda at Foxfire the other day and she said we need to have 20 - 25 people for this garden tour and presentation. So, if no-one else is interested, I'll have to cancel so she can book something else. So far we have 5 definites and a few maybe's. Would the maybe's check it out and please let me know? If we can get close, I can ask a few of my customers. When I told them about it,,,they were just dying to go.

Thanks
Kelly

This message was edited May 14, 2006 1:04 PM

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you know tomorrow I will be e-mailing Linda at Foxfire and cancelling our Tour and presentation. We needed at least 20 people and we only have 5 or 6 that have commited. So, if we don't have at least 20 by the end of the day today, I'm going to have to cancel.

Sorry to those who really wanted to go,,,,I'm really bummed.

Kelly

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Kelly,

I'm sorry I not able to go; my niece is getting married the same day. I think I may have told you already, but I wanted to be sure.

Jody

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Jody,
Yep, you told me that,,,,I tried talking you into blowing off the wedding,,,but it didn't work,,,lol

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi All,

Just wanted to let everyone know that was planning to come to the tour that I had to cancel cause we didn't have enough people. Sorry about that. I was Really looking forward to it.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

What a bummer!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.