Desert Rose

San Antonio, TX

The leaves on my 2 yr old desert rose, potted, are turning yellow and falling
off. Anyone have info on this problem? I must be doing something wrong.
Would appreciate any comments.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm not familiar with this plant - is it a true rose? Can you give us the botanical name? Yuska

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Ty, are you inquiring about Adenium obesum?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/527/index.html

If so, maybe it has recived too much water. It needs well draineding soil. Clay containers are recommended. "Desert Rose" requires a soil mix of sand or brick chips mixed into regular soil, or a cactus mix. Permit the soil to dry completely between waterings. It must be watered infrequently during its dormancy which is signalled by leaves faling off.. It is a succulent member of the Oleander family. Caution: The sap is poisonous.

Is it inside or outside? If it is inside, move it outside.

Some more information:
http://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/adenium.html

This message was edited Apr 16, 2006 10:46 AM

San Antonio, TX

Yes it is Adenium obesum. It is outdoors. It is beginning
to blossom, I just noticed. Do I need to consider repotting? If so, can I do it while the plant is blooming??
I have been keeping it dry. Maybe too dry? The soil that
I have it in is not as described by htop in his msg.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

My Adenium obesum is in my orchid greenhouse where it gets morning and late afternoon sun. I water it about every 3rd or 4th day. The 15" plant is in cactus potting soil in an 8" clay pot and has been blooming for the last 2 weeks. I don't let it go completely dry or it will be difficult to rewet the soil. This is a photo taken last summer. I bought it last spring. Even though the greenhouse got down to 39ºF during our last frost (I forgot to turn the heater back on.), my Adenium didn't lose a leaf. I consider myself very luck I didn't lose anything in the greenhouse.

Thumbnail by bettydee
Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Veronica! that is absolutely beautiful! Congatulations.

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Ty...I have one of these and it is blooming right now as well. I had it in the house all winter, and I noticed that if I went too long without watering, the leaves would yellow and fall off. Granted it was winter but the house was 70F. I would recommend giving it a thorough drenching, especially if it is outside. Just my two cents...

Kim

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

This plant is a real eye catcher. Does it do well in the house at a controlled temp of 72-78 deg. F?

and how do you propagate it?

I would like to try this plant.

calvin(nivlac)

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Calvin,
My experience with A. obesum is limited to the plant I bought last summer. It had been knocked out of its pot, had very few roots and some of those roots were damaged. But it was such a bargain, that I brought it home. I used straight cactus potting soil and planted it in a shallow clay pot and stuck it in my orchid greenhouse. I don't water until the soil feels dryish, but not bone dry or it will be difficult to rehydrate the soil. It seems to like the extra humidity in the greenhouse because it hasn't lost its leaves and has bloomed twice since last summer. It's a very slow grower so propagating it might take a while.
Veronica

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi all,

I posted a thread on this before I found this one. I had no idea this plant was so beautiful. I've had one for about 4 years, inside in a pot. OKAY, I need to move it outside. Problem is, it's already about 3 1/2' tall and STRAGGLY, SKINNY. I had no idea it bloomed. Is it salvagable at this point, being so tall and skinny? The leaves form the top 6" of the plant and they've always dropped pretty severely. Should I cut the top off? Would it survive? The root ball is only about 3" in circumference and it's planted in a rather large pot. I'll move it outside tonight and anxiously await any advice.

Kristi

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

A obesum needs sunlight. Yours is not getting enough which is why it hasn't bloomed and is growing so spindly. This article may help answer most of your questions. Introduce it to sunlight gradually or the sunlight will burn the leaves and stems. Place it in a shady area for a few days. Then allow it to get early morning sun and gradually increase its exposure to sunlight.

Veronica

http://www.cactus-mall.com/andre/large.html

Dallas, TX

I have two of the Obsesums. ..the youngest one has loads of new buds ... the oldest one is not as fat as it use to be ... it might be confused as I put it in my office to overwinter ... took it home too early ... put outside again ... it was still too cold .... put it back in the house and put it outside again in March and feed it plenty of fish emulsion ... yeah I am sure its confused. :)

Thumbnail by City_Sylvia
San Antonio, TX

When is the proper time to repot a desert rose?? I want to put mine
in a clay pot with cactus mix. Info appreciated. thanks, Ty

Dallas, TX

I need to know too. I bought one that was potted a few months ago .... totally unlike the boulbus one I have had before. I need to post a pic ... its really different. I better remember to get them inside before it get too cold this year .

This message was edited Oct 21, 2006 11:08 PM

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Your best reference is The Adenium Pages. Read EVERYTHING there. Mark Dimmitt knows whereof he speaks.

http://cactus-mall.com/andre/

If you just want cultural info, bettydee has bookmarked it above.

Marilyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.