Spring Time in Nebraska

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The first day of spring we got 13.5" of very wet heavy snow. Now all at once everything seems to be growing. Guess they liked the extra moisure. Here are a few photos I took this AM. These are some pale yellow hyacinths I love and some lavender phlox.

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Mrs Moon's pulmonaria is always a delight.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Blue bells and a red tulip that has bloomed for at least 15 years now.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Bleeding Heart.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

A not very clear photo of a Trout Lily. I divided a big clump of these last year and thought they might not bloom this year, but most of them are going to. Blooms are only about 1.5".

Susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This bed between the street and sidewalk in front of my house is about 30 foot long. Lots of daylilies, Iris, mums and other perennials. The pansies will be moved later when it gets too hot for them. I planted some Caracus celosia yesterday that you can see behind them. I think it is really too early for them, but it has been hot the last couple days and they seem to be doing OK.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This bed is on the east side of my front yard. Lots of daylilies, Iris, Helenium, Phlox, Peonies, ect. You can see my one tree peony in the upper right corner. It has buds and will open before my other peonies.
Mostly just daffodils now.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2006 10:18 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

A pale pink Lenten Rose.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This is the south side of my front garden. More daylilies, Iris, Heucheras, delphiniums, columbines and lots of lilies. Lots of lilies throughout both the front and back gardens.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

This is one side of my back yard. The paths are seriously in need of some new mulch. I really am going to get it done this spring Moby! I also need to get the ornamental grass cut down this week. Still so much to do.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

White tulips in front.

OK, all you other Nebraska gardeners, I want to see what's happening in your gardens!

Susan

This message was edited Apr 15, 2006 10:15 AM

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Okay, Susan, I'll share and trust you not to laugh. What an Eden you have! Here is the tulip bed today. The yellows are just starting and the reds are fading fast.

Thumbnail by McGlory
Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Here's a close-up of the Golden Apeldoorn.

Thumbnail by McGlory
Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

And one that includes the porch. You can see how bad our grass (and I use that term loosely) is. DH says if I put in all gardens he won't have to mow, so there's no need for good grass right now.

Thumbnail by McGlory
Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

These Naked Ladies have their great foliage right now. I like this. Lycoris somethingorother. They were here when DH bought the old house in 1991. After the tornado and all I didn't realize they were still here until last fall when they bloomed. This year we have a couple coming up in the middle of the yard where they never were before. We're thinking maybe the tornado and the new construction moved them around. The ones in the middle of the yard are a good 30 feet from the original bunch, which is pictured here.

Thumbnail by McGlory
Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Things besides gardens are starting to come back, but there are still remnants of tornado damage and reminders of what once was. These used to be on the southwest corner of our lot.

Thumbnail by McGlory
Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I tried to take pictures of the buds on the apple trees, but I'm not a good photographer yet. Also have a rosebush that I transplanted from my old house that seems to have lived, miracle of miracles. If it weren't so windy today, I'd get some things done, but 30 mph winds and no trees to break it up makes it rough out there today. All I got done was watering the trees.

I think it's Moby's turn. :-)

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

wow beautiful . we did not fair well in spring tulips an daff due to lack of rain , thank you guys for sharing your pictures

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Susan and McGlory do you have a problem with deer in your area?
Susan, you have a lot of lovely flowers. Thanks for showing them.
McGlory, what is Golden Apeldoom? I've never heard of it.
Did your home suffer damage from the tornado? I hope no one was hurt.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

We don't have a deer problem, but lots of raccoons and rabbit problems. Golden Apeldoorn is a Darwin hybrid tulip. I should add my picture to PF, as I see the ones in there show them as pretty white. Mine are bright yellow.

The tornado took the whole house, trees, and outbuildings almost two years ago, but we weren't hurt. Some weren't so fortunate. We planted some trees last year when the new house was finished, I added some bulbs in the fall, and hopefully more work will get done this spring.

Susan - How long did it take you to get rid of your entire lawn? Your garden is my inspiration.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

All these pictures are so lovely and inspiring.

We have some tulips in aqua baskets to protect them from voles. It's a real mixture as they all come from Powell Gardens in past years. Some baskets are all the same color but some are 3 or 4 colors. We do have one basket of Queen of the Night tulips one one of all reds that I planted years ago. They will need to be split into more baskets this fall.

We have about 9 kinds of daffodils. And the lilacs are blooming. The Clove Spice shrub is nearly thru blooming. We love its fragrance. The new Vibernum I got last summer is doing well to and is so fragrant.

Thanks to all for the beautiful and inspiring pictures.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

McGlory, your tulips are beautiful. What are you going to put there when they stop blooming? I love your porch. Looks like a very nice house. I'm so glad you are getting resettled. It took me about 8 years to get rid of all my grass. I just kept making the beds a little wider each year.

Marian I just visited you gardens and what can I say but WOW! I would feel like I was living in paradise with all those plants and all that space.

I don't have a deer problem since I live in town. A few years back rabbits were a real problem, but the numbers have really gone down. They still occasionally eat a few of my lilies, but no too bad.

Susan

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Marian, so far I've only visited one of your albums, but it was amazing! I will look at another later - I think my senses can only handle one at a time. To quote lincolnitess, "Wow!"

Susan, I don't know yet what comes after the tulips. I think I'll break that bed into sections and try different things in each section to see what combos I think I might like there on a permanent basis. That means it may look a little odd this summer. I've toyed with the idea of different cultivars of yellow daylilies, or some of the brighter-colored salvias, or maybe gaillardia, or I liked the combo of ornamental peppers and those buff-colored marigolds like we saw at Sunken Gardens last year. I'm open to suggestions, obviously! We're slightly limited by the width of that bed, as it's only 20" wide. I may have gotten carried away with last fall's bulbs. It's pretty full.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here are some tulips and daffs

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I love how they look from the top

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Queen of Night tulips

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

And these are just the cutest little bloomers ever! Today was DGD Elli's first Easter egg hunt. :)

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Moby, I love Queen of the Night tulips! Now I want to see what Elli's front side looks like. She makes a cute little lawn ornament.

McGlory, you may need to dig the tulips up before you plant the daylilies or whatever in that bed since you have them close together. You could move them to another spot and replant them in the fall. I've found that tulips are inexpensive enough that I just replace them every couple years. Otherwise, I'm always cutting them in two when try to plant something else around them.

Susan

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Lincolnitess and McGlory. I have put a lot of hours into those albums.
Moby, your Tulips are beautiful. I had to give up on growing them here once the deer, the rabbits, and the burrowing varmints discovered them. I really miss the gorgeous huge red ones that I had BC (before varmints)! Each year a few buds manage to show up, and I immediately place a wire cage around them until they finish blooming. I could try planting them in containers, and blooming them on our desk, but that would be such a hassle, and I'm too tired and puny to do that. :-(

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Marian, have you ever tried Plantskydd to fend off the deer and rabbits?

Here she is ~

Thumbnail by Moby
Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

No, I have never tried that, Moby. I just put cages , large and small , around everything that I am protecting. Have you had good success with that product?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yep, works great ~ better than Liquid Fence (which is pretty good) and a couple applications is good for the season.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Where do you buy it?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I buy it at the local garden center, Earl May. I spoke with another garden center (Campbell's, for those of you in and near Lincoln) that didn't carry it and they were very interested were going to look into getting some.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

I'll try to remember to check with our garden centers. We don't have either of the ones you mentioned.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The spring bulbs are about done now. Just a few tulips finishing up. Some of my SDB Iris are starting to bloom. This one is Wizard of Hope.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I call these Snowflake Anemones. They are the type that rebloom in the fall.

Susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Those are really pretty Susan! My SDB are just starting ~

Making Eyes

Thumbnail by Moby
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I love Making Eyes! Here is a Veronica that is blooming for the first time for me. It is Veronica "Crystal River". Only 3" tall and flowers are about 1/3" in diameter. Nice, but you have to get close to appreciate it.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Oh, you guys! Sigh. When can I come over? We've got lots of dandelions blooming here.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.