Missouri weather ... what a hoot

Kirksville, MO(Zone 5a)

Last weekend we were running around covering everything with sheets because of the frost warnings ... yesterday and today it's been near 90. The plants have got to be so confused!

I'm so glad you got this forum together. Good job Terry!

I put this cow skull down and had forgotten that there were things planted underneath it. I love when funny surprises show up in the Spring, don't you.

Audrey

Thumbnail by NellieLemon
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Fun pic. :)

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Was not much fun about a month ago at one time we had active tornados on 4 sides of us. Had 28 that night in Central Missouri

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

In this part of the country .
We don't learn mama and daddy ,
as our first words but " DUCK & RUN "
LOL
Cloudy this morning hope we get a drop of rain to go with our 1 1/2 rain since Oct 2005
" How dry i am" is going to be our town song
love the skull and flowers in this part of OK.
we may have a lot of skulls if we don't get rain

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

Hello everyone. :)

Even doing the rain dance here doesn't seem to work. It keeps looking like it's really going to storm then we get about three or four spits of rain. I think half of Oklahoma has blown up here too.

We've been setting new high temperature records also this week. It was 96 here Thursday which broke the old 88 record set in 1936. A lot of my plants are really suffering even with watering.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

I think 82 has been our high so far. That is the blessing of living at one of the highest altitudes in the Ozarks.
The predicted rains passed us completely by today. The dirt roads are very dusty, but our soil is still okay. I wish the winds would let up.
Audrey, I love the skull with the chionodoxa eyes! :-)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

It was a lovely day for working outside here today. Our youngest DD brought her 2 teenagers and her boyfriend and they worked all afternoon in the yarden cutting up the felled fungus infested fruit trees, tilling and weeding raised beds for me, etc. I spent the afternoon and evening in bed not doing very well. It would have taken me a week or more to do what they did in one afternoon.

I did put some chicken leg quarters, new potatoes, and turkey polish sausage on the grill and sliced up some Roma tomatoes before I went to bed. They didn't leave until about 7 this evening.

The weather channel showed the kids going right into a bad storm to get home. I called but they don't seem to have gotten home yet. It feels like there might be some rain out there, but it is mostly windy. I don't have the barametric pressure headache I sometimes get when it is going to rain.

GOD bless each of you.

Saint Louis, MO

As for the weather in Missouri, it can be anything at any time. The timing is always iffy about putting out the plants that have wintered over in the house. I agree with Nellie Lemon about the plants being confused.

So glad to have found you on the web.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

botanybuff, I always wait until the last of April to put out all my over wintered, and house plants, regardless of what the weather is doing. I have about 200 pots! not all of which I put out.

Well botany. that was the old saying in St louis. " If you did not like the weather stick anound a short while and it would change" I lived in St Louis and South St charles near Weldon Springs until 12 years ago.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Ozarkian, that is what they say here , too.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Uhhhhh, that's an Oklahoma saying. LOL

Will Rogers said it about Oklahoma.

Susan
=^..^=

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Uhhhhh, We say that down here in the Ozarks.... it must be true of the whole region...

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yeah, we say that here in Nebraska, too. Wait 10 minutes.........

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

How funny. You are right, it is true of the whole region.

Susan
=^..^=

Kirksville, MO(Zone 5a)

Marian,

200 houseplants! That's a ton to move in and out. Also a lot of watering to be done all year round! But I bet your home is lovely and the air in your house is sweet smelling.

I move my houseplants out when it starts staying about 50 at night. Which will be a while yet as I'm in northeast Missouri where it's very flat, windy, and cold ... they say we're zone 5a but the plants act as if we're really zone 4. We have a medical college here with many students from Chicago and they say the winters here are worse than in Chicago.

My mother is only two hours south of me, in Jefferson City, and she is able to keep zone 6 plants alive through the winters.

How unfair is that!!!

Do many places in are part of the country have temperatures that range from 110 in the summer to minus 20 in the winter?

Audrey

Fulton, MO

Nellie, I know what you mean. It seems to me that Jeff City, with its rolling hills, has a lot of microclimates. Our place is flat like yours. Add the wind and clay soil, and gardening can be a challenge!

I will say that we haven't had a zone-testing winter in quite a while. I kept a zone 8 plant through two winters outside (until it got a little invasive so I pruned it with Roundup).

SB

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Nellie, some of my houseplants are fragrant, but I seldom get to enjoy that feature since I have chronic nasal problems. I am sure an Allergist could have a hay-day with that! I would be told to get rid of the plants. No way am I going to do that ( besides, I don't subscribe to that theory). :-)
I do enjoy blooms all winter long. My new 'addiction' to orchids is adding to the late winter blooms.

It is much easier to water them outside, than inside. I can use a hose outside, and I group them together in several different locations. A lot of the prettiest ones stay on the deck.
I have a hand truck that I use to move the heavy ones.

Our temps very rarely get up to over 100, and below 0. One of our summers, in 1980, it got 100 or above on 40 different days! We lived down below the mountain then, and it may not have got that hot up here. In 1986, it did get in the 100s again (up here) and reached 110 late in July. That is the only time I saw it that high. ( I kept records from 1979 until about 3 years ago.)
Our coldest temp was -22 in January of 1985. That was a real rarity, thank God.

I have a sister that lived in Jefferson City many years ago. I have never been there. I have only been to Springfield, St.Louis, and (of course) Branson.

I have 3 tender Kiwis that I have grown outside for about 8-10 years now. I started them from a store bought kiwi's seeds. They have never set on fruit, but the big one that is out in more sun blooms every year. I bought a couple of the hardy ones, hoping to have fruit on all of them, but no such luck. I'm sure it is because they , too, are in too much shade.

Marian

Susan----- I do not think it is so true of the area anymore as i sit here and watch my big National Walking sprinkler work its way down the yard. Time for rain. So when is it going to happen??? Maybe you could do a rain dance on your compost pile.

Marshall, MO(Zone 5b)

Nellie, According to the UMC ag department Missourians are blesed Michigan winters and Georgia summers. I've lived in Michigan and it was colder here in Marshall MO every winter, it just didn't last as long or have as much snow. I've been to Georgia in mid' summer and I think their heat and humidity is worse than here.

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I was thinking about planting my tomatoes this week-end, but my DH was listening to his radio station today and they had a local garden show on and they suggested waiting another 2 weeks to plant tomatoes, I guess we still have a chance of having a frost. So I will be waiting until at lease the first of May.

Okay - it can stop raining in St. Louis, now!!! It's hailing outside. Time for a little sunshine. Mother Nature, are you listening?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.