Coffee's on and Spring is here!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Drink up - this stuff grow's on trees.

Ok I'll use up the last up my mid '80's $10 camera art shots

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Hey al, You mean we don't have to wait for Anita?

Nice photo!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I think Anita is still trying to find where her friends go out without her.

Not exactly a spring shot - I know

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Maybe she moved to get away from me!
But if I see her again I'm gonna tell her you started coffee w/o permission.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I was working late - so thanks for the coffee, Al!!

The blue flower is forget me not. Your pics are great! I love the natural look of the waterfall on the pond.

Andy - I'm looking forward to seeing the shoe planter.

It's supposed to be nice tomorrow - I hope so, because alot of my winter sown plants need to be planted out.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Dena - is this the white flower you have? http://www.dutchgardens.com/Shopping/sell.asp?ProdGroupID=22453&omMerchandising=Search

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

The weather has been wonderful and warm the last few days. Everthing in the garden suddenly had a growth spurt. Oh how lovely. It rained last night , that soft spring rain that makes everything look fresh. I always feel so lucky when it rains after I 've done a lot of new planting. This morning is one of those grey misty fog mornings where everything looks soft and beautiful. I noticed new long thin, hairlike webs? over everything. No evidence of spiders. Is anyone familiar with what made them? Since we"re all in different parts of the Northeast I was wondering how far along your gardens are?
Pixie

This message was edited Apr 16, 2006 8:32 AM

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Good Morning Pixie. I'm still in the beginning stages of growth - daffies, forget-me-nots. It won't be long for the tulips [I have a few early bloomers that are showing off right now] and trout lilies. The Hellebore's are still doing their thing, but the crocus and dwarf irises are basically done. We have a fog this morning too, which makes it too wet to do any gardening. I am hoping the sun will come out so I can plant out some wintersown seedlings. I guess the dampness is good as it will force me to stay in for a bit and do some work.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I basically have signs of life on all my plants except my butterfly bush and smoketree.

I would guess that the webs were from spiders you just can't see. Noceum spiders ;)

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Pixie, Yesterday I found the first signs of a 'tent caterpillar' nest on a crab apple tree.
Other caterpillars are waking up now, look very closely for munched leaves.
We had an advisory for S E Mass about a severe outbreak of Gypsy and Tent Caterpillars this Spring.
After I sign off here I'm off to get some Fruit Tree spray concentrate. Things are sprouting fast and I must stay ahead of it or there will be no fruit for Andy.
Wait till you see the little Pear tree in bloom, next week+-.

OK Here is the first pic of my Hens & Chick Sneakers. They should fill in nicely by July, I hope.
I removed the padded insole and tung and punched holes in the bottom/sides. I left the laces for 'character'.
Should I add one plant in the toe area?
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Andy, That is great! I wouldn't change a thing. Bummer. I just threw out my old sneakers.

Pixie, I have Chindoxia, daffs, hellebore. pulmonaria, dutchman's britches and bloodroot blooming. Sounds like a lot but most parts of my yard are still empty.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Didn't get a lot accomplished today. Family time and general laziness. But I did manage to lime the lawn, spread some manure and a few odds and ends.
How did everyone else make out?

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I took a 'Lazy' day. I got stuff done this week and felt I deserved it.
I did take a few pics.
Which should I post? My first tulip or spider?
Everybody has tulips.
Andy P

Weare, NH

Dave,

Today, was the only work day this weekend. So I got an early start.....Perk the coffee, read the paper, and out side by 8. Spread the mulch that was left from last Sunday. Dump run to keep the garage from smelling. After that , ran the tuck over to pick up another load of compost.

Planted 3 Hydraengeas in the compost mix, then topped with mulch. Dug up one bed that was under preforming too much clay in the soil...mixed in new dirt and compost.....ran over to stone falls and pick up two Iriss that didnt make it over the winter. Spent the afternoon piling up brush and such.

Cooked hot dogs and smores over the hot coals of the burnt bruch and dead pine limbs.

And now its easter egg hiding time, and Yes Red stripe time..

Have a great night......

Dennis

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Didn't get as much done on Saturday as I'd hoped...DH mowed and weed whacked (I let him use the tools with the internal combustion engines, as they disturb my Garden Zen :) ) so I had child watch duty. I did do some yanking of weeds, at least until said child started eating dirt. I'm hoping to get more done today. She says. :)

pam

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

What a great picture, if I had my camera, the scarlet male cardinal sitting atop an overturned red wheelbarrow. I think the female dive-bombed me, something(one) brushed my head on a fly-by.
BCAl, no evidence of webs this morning, everything is noceeum today.
Andy P, I like your spider and sneakers.
Dave47, I have basicaly what you have blooming with the addition of bleeding hearts, wood and moss phlox, hepatica,(I definately want more of this little charmer) violets, purple plum tree and white heath. I cheated and bought red snapdragons already blooming to attract earlier hummingbirds.
Anita, I was not as restrained as you and did some planting even though it was a little too wet. Oh well.
No chance to work outside today, unless I just lose track of time LOL. Sounds like a plan.
Pixie

This message was edited Apr 16, 2006 9:05 AM

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Happy Easter!! Thanks for responding. Today will be family and candy!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Family get together was yesterday. Which means I need to get my inside work done before I can play outside today.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

My neighbor laughed when he saw the sneakers.
What good is gardening if you don't have fun...

I got the fruit trees sprayed yesterday. (forgot to mention that last night.)
The Nectarine flowers are starting to open and it was either last night or wait 2 weeks, that would have been too late.
As I was spraying I noticed a second tent caterpillar nest on the crab apple tree. I wouldn't bother spraying that one but the birds love the tiny fruit in winter.
Do things appear to be extra early this year? Maybe 2 weeks ahead of normal?
Last year was very cold and wet in May, I hope we don't get a late frost.

Here is the first tulip.
Andy P

This message was edited Apr 16, 2006 9:50 AM

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Lovely photos Andy P. What type of camera, lens do you have? I cannot get closeups.
Pixie

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Pixie, Thanks for commenting.
I have a basic Fuji Finepix E500, 4.1 MP. It does have a great Macro and super Macro setting on it.
I bought at Brooks Pharmacy last June for $150.
I also use Adobe PhotoShop to enhance the pics before I share them here.
I find that carefully focusing on the subject gives me a sharp enough pic so I can crop it way down and still have a presentable image. I rarely get any closer than 3 or 4 inches.
Then I use the 'unsharp mask' feature on PhotoShop to sharpen it up.
Here is another I snapped yesterday to post and get an ID.
Turns out to be that invasive Creeping Charlie. The flower is maybe a half inch wide, at most.
This is the best of 4 shots, after I played with it.
Andy P

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Andy,
Ground ivy and henbit will look similar, but ground ivy is a mint and has square stems.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is the same pic without sharpening.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Al, I was given the PlantFile link to this one and it's a match.
I'm pretty good at identifying things I've planted but wild stuff is a mystery, lol.
Andy P

Rhinebeck, NY(Zone 5b)

Today we planted a new yellow magnolia: magnolia x Butterflies. It has 2 little blossoms...shades of things to come, I hope...

daisygrrl

Thumbnail by daisygrrl
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

If I had room for another flowering tree it would be a Magnolia, very pretty.
My Nectarine is just starting to open.
Hope I get the fruit before the squirrels get them.
Andy P

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Nice pictures Andy, Daisy. Charlie is a cute little invasive!
Andy, what was your last picture?
Dave

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dave, I used to like Charlie, I hear Borax might get rid of him.
The last pic was of a Nectarine, want another?
I'm addicted to the camera.
Dave, did you resolve your pic problem?
Andy P

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Wow, that's pretty. I didn't even think you could grow nectarines in our zone.
No, my pic problem remains.
Happy Easter!

This message was edited Apr 17, 2006 7:23 AM

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Good Morning All!!!! What a wonderful weekend we had! This morning looks just as lovely. Well, I'm off with my coffee to inspect the garden. Enjoy!!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Good morning. Time to work off the sugar hangover.

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Good morning from the expatriate NE'er. :) It's pouring down rain here in WV this morning, but at least most of the weekend was nice. Got the big cup of coffee and am ready to go!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

boy - with all this nice weather it is making going to work real hard! Now why can't I win lotto????

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Today turned out nicer than predicted.
I went to work and left the cold frame closed.
The sun was out strong when I got home and I nearly cooked my babies.

I'm having fun with the camera again, another close-up but from a different view.
Taken 20 minutes ago.
I brought a spray bottle with me for effect.
Andy P

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Sorry about the double post, It didn't show up the first time.
Andy P

This message was edited Apr 17, 2006 7:27 PM

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

That's amazing how they look in a close-up!
My muscari is now open too, daffs are in full force and tulips are about to pop.Veronica peduncularis is starting to bloom. Every day seems to bring a new surprise.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Starting to work on rearranging all my beds. So ready for the kids and wife to be back at school tomorrow.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

My first yellow Tulip, same variety as the red I posted yesterday.
Very short.
Dave, with the Macro I'm seeing things I never saw before, fun.
Andy P

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Al, Do you have a child bride??

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Mentally or physically?
My wife works at school - they were all on vacation. No rules - let dad do all the work. Neighbors kids over here for me to watch too.

Hey I have an extra packet of these that I won't use this year. Or 1/2 if you want.

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/us/en/product/7911/1

let me know and I'll send them to you.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2006 7:26 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.