One of my favorite scents

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I planted this lilac bush over 7 yrs ago. It is a heat tolerent variety that I don't remember, but I wanted to share how great it looks in full bloom. Have several vases of the lilac in some rooms and it smells so good.
It reminds me of where I grew up in Conn. We had huge bushes 20' high-a whole hedge of them and my mom would just fill the house with them!

Thumbnail by tigerlily123
South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I wish I could grow one here!!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Do you think its too hot there ?Its pretty hot here, I didn't think this one would do so well, but I think they have done a lot in working on new heat tolerant varities. Worth a try if you like them :)

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Which do you find takes the heat the best?

Edited to say that I also lack a hard freeze and packing plants in ice is no fun.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2006 12:31 AM

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

You know Caren, I really don't know which would do well. I think any that you find in nurseries in your area would be worth a try. The big question is whether lilacs have to go thru a freeze. I don't know, but I bet the people at one of the better nurseries in yr area would know.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Is that 'Miss Kim'? I think it was one of the first to be introduced. I saw it at the nursery the other day but could barely detect the scent--they said it was because it was so small, in shade, and released it's scent more in the heat of the day.

I grow an old fahioned Persian Lilac down here, it doesn't do great, gets mildew mid-summer and sparse blooms, but at least it blooms twice (spring & fall) and smells like the real thing. It suprises me every year just for hanging in there--it's about 7 years old.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

you know, violabird, I think it is a Miss Kim...sounds very familiar. You should try these heat tolerant varieties, I think you will be very surprised and happy. I , too am surprised that your lilac is still alive...the heat must be freaking it out each year lol

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

I just planted some lilac bushes from a very small start already rooted I believe I'm in zone 5 here in Illinois & hope they will be hardy as I surely do enjoy their scent, they are lovely too in bloom! Denise

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.